Two way intermediate switch wiring

I can see a yellow wire in both the up and the down switches. I have an idea what has been done and have an inkling how to make it work.
Need to know where those two yellow wires go to first.

Sponsored Links
I can see a yellow wire in both the up and the down switches. I have an idea what has been done and have an inkling how to make it work.
Need to know where those two yellow wires go to first.

Also pls confirm that you only have two switches.

There isn't three switches, its just the downstairs 2 gang switch and then the upstairs intermediate switch. The photo I have just sent is the intermediate switch.

In the intermediate switch the yellow cable goes to the earth point in the back box, I'm going to open the downstairs switch now and send some pictures.

Sponsored Links
15662394177082275397342689247938.jpg 15662394390596663576909117271225.jpg 15662394589087976131356237463807.jpg This is the downstairs switch.

There isn't three switches, its just the downstairs 2 gang switch and then the upstairs intermediate switch. The photo I have just sent is the intermediate switch.

An intermediate switch is a switch designed to work with two other 2 way switches, connected in the middle of the two wires called 'strappers'. In fact many intermediate switches can be used, if fitted to a multiple staircase. If you only have in total two switches, then an intermediate is wrong the wrong type of switch. Two switch positions just need 2x 2 way switches.

Ok thanks Harry, I do understand that but I've read that an intermediate switch can also be used as a 2 way switch? Is that not correct?

Yes I think the yellow has been used as the earth now I look at it. I presume that must be part of the problem?

Yes I think the yellow has been used as the earth now I look at it. I presume that must be part of the problem?
It hasn't been used AS an earth.

Attaching to the earth terminal is a way of safely terminating unused wires - whether the earth terminal itself is connected to earth is another matter.

Maybe, maybe not - is the best answer at the moment. It all looks very confused. If the yellow is an earth, why did they have a second earth wire with sleeving connected to a switch itself, but the switches earth is not connected to the metal back box?

It seems strange though that the yellow on both switches has been put onto the back box upstairs and then the switch earth downstairs don't you think? And then as you say Harry I don't do understand why there is a yellow/green earth that has been connected to the switch upstairs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back