Two way intermediate switch wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got a problem with my landing lighting. It's currently using a 2 gang 2 way switch at the bottom and an intermediate switch upstairs. However the top switch does not operate at all. I believe that there should be a free space but I'm not sure which cable to move and where to move it to? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 15662281886851296937439724604531.jpg
    15662281886851296937439724604531.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 255
  • 15662282407534688160783271258365.jpg
    15662282407534688160783271258365.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 248
Sponsored Links
You cannot have 2-way switching with only 2 cores connected to the lower floor switch. Did it ever work before you started on it ? It's obviously old wiring going by the colours. Where does the yellow core terminate ? Is there another switch somewhere that you've omitted to detail.

If theres red and blue then theres likely a yellow, hope you have not mistakenly used that as earth

Yes there is a yellow, which has been used as an earth I think. This hasn't been done by myself and has been like this since I moved in and I'm only just getting round to looking at it. No theres not another switch just the downstairs one and the pictured one. The green/yellow core terminates on the earth of the switch. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Usually 3 wires + earth are run between switches. But something must work.

What about a pic of the switch that don’t work

The question is very confused and is Nicholas's second post. Is little diagram is also lacking in one wire...

Live >------2w ===========X===============2w-------------> to light(s) Is how it ought to be wired.

Lin, 2 way switch, strappers, intermediate, strappers, 2 way switch, switch wire to light(s)

The intermediate simply crosses or uncrosses the strappers like this X or =. In at the bottom, out at the top of the switch.

The downstairs switch works perfectly controlling the lights, the wiring for the working downstairs switch is the diagram that I have uploaded (it's a 2 gang but I've only drawn the wiring for the wiring that I'm interested in). However the wiring for the switch that doesn't work at all (upstairs) is the picture that I have included. I'll take some more photos and upload them.

There is something in L1 though? I read that in order to use an intermediate switch as a 2 way switch you had to have a com, L1, and L2. But I am currently using l1,l2,l3 and l4.

Please show a photograph of what the yellow (not the yellow-green) core at the intermediate is connected to. If the downstairs switch operates the lights then the circuit is working as a simple single switch circuit and the intermediate switch is not part of that light circuit - unless the previous owner really screwed things up.

I believe that there should be a free space but I'm not sure which cable to move and where to move it to?
With the power off - noting that upstairs and down may be on different circuits - switch them all off:

Downstairs - put the yellow into L2. Others stay as they are.

Upstairs - put the Yellow in the lower terminal with the red
Move Blue and put in the terminal with Black.
Top red stays where it is.

You have mentioned a bottom switch, an intermediate and a top switch - where is the top switch?

When you take the photos, you need to identify them with which switch they are of.

You definitely have a wire missing from you switch photo and switch diagram.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back