Two way light switch issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have an issue where we have a two way light switch for our landing. When the light is on both switches can switch the light off, but when it's off, only the switch that switched it off can switch the light back on. I replaced the switches from the Click Deco range but the result is still the same.

We have a number of rooms which employ a two way light system, and all the rest worked. I also decided to replace the switches with the Click Deco range, but suddenly they all have developed the same issue as the landing issue. I've tried all sorts of wiring combos without success. Even more bizarrely, one of the two way light switch groups that didn't have any switches replaced has also developed this issue.

The Click Deco range I bought are all intermediate switches, but internet searches show this shouldn't be an issue. The only other thing is that the new switches are 20amps and not 10 like the originals.

Does anyone have any advice?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Can you send photos?

Easiest way for us is for you to send photos of each switch in each room.

Make sure they show each WIRE emerginging from each CABLE.

Label each photo as to which room it is.

Aggro I know, but you will get quicker answers.

If you can't send pictures, very detailed descriptions please.

Before we going any further, have you worked on any other part of the lighting circuits, besides the switches?

Wait a minute.

Intermediate switches?

Though they can be used, you do have to be particularly careful in which terminals you use.

For a start, you have to decide which terminal can be the 'common', and then the 'strappers'.

20 amp intermediate switch.

I very much doubt that it is an intermediate at all - it's more likely a 20 amp double pole switch, which won't be any use on a two way circuit.

Hope you've kept the old switches, I think these will come in handy at least just to get things working again for now.

Hello,

We have a number of rooms which employ a two way light system, and all the rest worked. I also decided to replace the switches with the Click Deco range, but suddenly they all have developed the same issue as the landing issue. I've tried all sorts of wiring combos without success. Even more bizarrely, one of the two way light switch groups that didn't have any switches replaced has also developed this issue.

PS
You're a menace. :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.

I think you're right, they're not intermediate they're double pole. The thing is, there was no way to know what type of switches they were when I bought them, even though the instructions show options for one way, two way, intermediate and double pole. And I'm pretty sure that's the only type they do, except for 10amp versions.

Yes I've kept the original ones. Excuse my ignorance, but why won't 20 amp double poles work? And would 10amp versions have the standard switch inputs, com + L 1 & L2?

Cheers

10 amp intermediate switches don't have com, L1 and L2 on them, though can be wired in a particular way to get this set up. Not usually recommended though, because it's extra agg. And no one wants agg.

Standard 10 amp 2 way switches have com, L1, L2 - or sometimes an alternative set up - but functionally the same.

Standard light switches only interupt the live conductor - known as single pole switches.

Double pole switches interupt both live and neutral - so these are totally useless for 2 way lighting circuits, and there's no way they can be made to work.

A double pole switch could be used to replace a single pole ONE WAY switch however, but it's not the norm.

Looks like I've made a mistake which I won't be making again. 10amp switches it is.

Many thanks.

Just to say that you are looking at the amperage the wrong way round.

Double pole switches are 20A because they are used to switch appliances.

Intermediate switches don't have to handle as much current being used for lights so may be 6A or 10A.

You don't need a 10A switch, per se, you need an intermediate which will, incidentally, be 6A or 10A.

And you need to understand, genuinely understand, how lighting circuits work and what switches do, if you want to fiddle with them.

I've tried all sorts of wiring combos without success.
Sorry, but that is absolutely the wrong way to go about it. Trying different ways of connecting things up, hoping to hit on the right way by luck, is an extremely unsound basis on which to do electrical work.

Please take the time to get to the point where you do actually understand what's going on in the things you want to work on.

You need 10A two way switches, not intermediate or double pole!

Use the correct accessories and installation is much easier.

Agreed, but the point is he CAN use intermediate switches to save the expense of buying new two way switches. Gets complicated, granted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back