Two way replacement for intermediate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
Can anyone advise please ?
Upstairs Downlight run has several more additions across landing extension !
Two way switch controlling at foot of stairs and top! Due to the extension to other rooms customer wants third switch at end of new run ! Obviously an intermediate required to replace the two way at top of stairs and an two way at end of run to extension ! Question is .. I’ve put a three core strapper between top of stairs two way switch and the location of the two way at end of corridor , but have I been a div because the current two way at top of stairs allready has a strapper down to the switch at foot of stairs ! Suppose what I’m asking is do I have to rip it back out and reconfigure ‍♂️ Much apreciate solution ! Thanks

Sponsored Links
So are you saying the 'supply' is at the old landing switch, you have an existing 3 core+e from here to the hall, and also from the old landing switch you have a new 3 core+e going to the new landing switch?

If so, that is fine - and the old landing switch becomes the intermediate.

I'm not an electrician but I did the same as you.

Replace the current 2 way switch with a intermediate run 3 core and earth to the new 2 way switch.

Link the commons at the intermediate and wire up the intermediate and new 2 way end of line switch.

I would wait for someone more knowledgeable than me to offer more advice though.

Sponsored Links
Two way switch controlling at foot of stairs and top! Due to the extension to other rooms customer wants third switch at end of new run !
Ok.

Obviously an intermediate required to replace the two way at top of stairs and an two way at end of run to extension !
Yes.

Question is .. I’ve put a three core strapper between top of stairs two way switch and the location of the two way at end of corridor ,
Ok. That's right.

but have I been a div
If I understand correctly - no, you have not been a div.

because the current two way at top of stairs allready has a strapper down to the switch at foot of stairs !
If I understand correctly - it would, wouldn't it? How could you do what you want without it?

Suppose what I’m asking is do I have to rip it back out and reconfigure ‍♂️
I do not understand what you think you have done wrong or what you think it should be.

upload_2022-4-21_22-56-31.png

Note this is for mechanical switches, with electronic switches they work as master/slave
upload_2022-4-22_8-22-27.png
and you can often have more than one slave. You need to look at the instructions for the switch being fitted, no longer is there a one wiring fits all. In some cases the light switches are extra low voltage
upload_2022-4-22_8-27-9.png
and a relay is used local to the lights, this allows mobile phones to also link in to the two way system, so either switch or phone or timed schedule can switch lights on/off.

Thanks for all your responses guys, much appreciated, please see the image fir reference ! This is the wiring config at the landing two way switch ! I want to replace this with an intermediate! I have run the 3 core + e over to the point where I want another two way at the other end of upstairs landing ! I am just confused how to terminate the existing cables from the old two way into the new intermediate ! Would apreciate any diagrams please
Many thanks

Attachments

• 41288DBB-A5B2-446A-BCE3-CF2E5111D9CA.jpeg
    41288DBB-A5B2-446A-BCE3-CF2E5111D9CA.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 49
You have a diagram; substitute the colours of your wires.

For understanding.

upload_2022-4-22_12-36-30.png

The yellow circles are the terminals of the new intermediate switch.
Bear in mind that the colours are unimportant; any of the wires could have been used for any of the terminals
(although I would use red and brown for the permanent live wires).

A & B are the switch drop cable; permanent live from and switched live to the light. They are in your case both red
(although they could be red & black or brown and blue).
A & B must go at one end of the intermediate switch; it does not matter which end nor which way round they go.

The only critical thing is that wire E from the COM at the downstairs switch must be connected to wire F which must go to the COM on the new switch.

C, D & E are the wires (strappers) to the existing switch (downstairs). Yours are red, yellow & blue.
As above E is connected to F.
C & D go at one end of the intermediate switch; it does not matter which end (at the moment) or which way round they go.

F, G & H are the wires (strappers) to the new switch (corridor). (I assume) they are brown, black & grey.
As above F is connected to E
G & H go at the other end (than C & D) of the intermediate switch; it does not matter which way round they go.

New switch.
As above F must go to COM
G & H go to the other two terminals; it does not matter which way round they go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back