Two way switch wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, please can someone help!
I have a two way light upstairs that should be operated from both downstairs and upstairs.

The problem is when it is switched on from downstairs it won't switch off from upstairs and when it is switched on from upstairs it won't switch off from downstairs.

Any help very much appreciated.
First picture upstairs switch, second picture downstairs switch. There is constant power going into L1 on both switches.
20221121_140850.jpg
20221121_142303.jpg

Sponsored Links
First thing, have you been playing with/rewiring the switches

If you have I would guess that on the upstairs switch you have put one black wire into com which should have gone into L2. Power off and put one blackwire into L2, power on. Light should work OK or only work when upstairs and downstairs switches are in certain positions (no two way switching as such) if that is the case switch the 2 black wires in the landing switch around and 2 way switching should work as normal.

If you haven't been playing around with the switches then???????

Last edited:
The switches have been replaced with the wires going in exactly the same places as old switches.

My partner says this problem has existed before she moved in.

Hello.
Are the switches wired in singles, or twin & earth ?
Being solid conductors probably T&E, maybe a picture of the cables and conductors would help here.
Regards
Ed

Sponsored Links
I should have said that Just moving one of the blacks (that goes to the lamp) on the upstairs switch to L2 would also work, but we don't know which black goes to the lamp and which black goes to the downstairs switch, so my suggestion above is possibly easier.

Dereekoo's suggestion above is equally valid though.

Last edited:
FYI Here's my guess of your wiring layout. As said I reckon a black wire should go to L2 but has gone to C. the question is which one? Lot easier with RBY wires

Attachments

• Screenshot (933).png
    Screenshot (933).png
    159.3 KB · Views: 51
FYI Here's my guess of your wiring layout. As said I reckon a black wire should go to L2 but has gone to C. the question is which one? Lot easier with RBY wires
That which Dereekoo has dawn is an "alternative" system to the more common system (using "strappers" or "travelers") and is referred to - in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiway_switching - as "the "California 3-way", or "coast 3-way" connection system".
It "allows both switched and unswitched loads to be connected near both switches without running too many additional wires."

That which Dereekoo has dawn is an "alternative" system to the more common system (using "strappers" or "travelers") and is referred to - in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiway_switching - as "the "California 3-way", or "coast 3-way" connection system".
It "allows both switched and unswitched loads to be connected near both switches without running too many additional wires."
I think you may need to read that American page you linked to again. Admittedly the California system as drawn in that article does look very similar to Dereekoo's but the load is shown connected to the opposite end of the strappers to the live supply (actually the defined method originally and how American youtube videos always show it... along with their 2 miles of spare cable in their backboxes and wire nuts and bare earth wires in easy reach of their exposed live terminal screws), it should be at the same end to reduce the possibility of electromagnetic radiation unless the neutral is in the same cable, in which case the 'strapper or traveller method' is better as one less wire required.

It's blatantly obvious to me whoever fitted this switch looked at the position of the wires in the original switch and replicated the position without bothering to look at the markings. The fact that both L1 terminals are permanent live is good and as has already been said the blacks need to be in L2 and the red on its own to be in COM.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back