Two way switching on lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got a problem with a light fitting on my landing. The fitting has two way switching in the normal way and works. However, when the switches are in the off position, I have 40VAC across the low energy fluorescent bulb which is causing it to flicker. Obviously there should not be any voltage in this situation.

The wiring at the remote switch is correct, but I am wondering whether transposed yellow and blue wires at the main switch on the upper landing could cause this? (It's one of those green illuminated switch plates, and I wonder if it could have gone bad).

What tests would a professional do? Or should I just replace the upper switch?

Thanks for all help.

Sponsored Links
The green part lights when the main light is off??

Change the switch, this green light is in series with the main light (as it should be), but many, if not all energy saving lamps do not like this arrangement. These switches where designed for use with tungsten type lamps.

Having said that, I've had an installation going in a block of flats for ages now where communal lighting is switched through electronic time lag switches and MK neon locators. The lighting is a combi of tungsten halogen and 2D's.

Had no problems yet........FC.....

if you mix incandescent and flourescent on a plateswitch locate you should have no problems

afaict what happens is the cfl charges to stricking point through the locator and then discharges with a brief flash

with an incandescent accross it this can't happen

Sponsored Links
Thank you for that. I will change the switch for a bog standard two way switch and see what happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back