Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just found a display on our car that shows the tyre pressure and temperature of all 4 wheels. How do these systems work? is there remote sensors in each rim ?

I always thought they just relied upon the ABS to determine if a tyre was getting a bit flat, but this seems a bit OTT - is it stupid money if it stop working
#ihatemoderncars

Sponsored Links
Just found a display on our car that shows the tyre pressure and temperature of all 4 wheels. How do these systems work? is there remote sensors in each rim ?

I always thought they just relied upon the ABS to determine if a tyre was getting a bit flat, but this seems a bit OTT - is it stupid money if it stop working
#ihatemoderncars
2 basic types

1 is abs type related

1 is a sensor in each valve. These can be a real pain if they play up

Sensor in wheel with button battery. If you have a full size spare wheel then 5 that need topping up with air as fault don't always show which wheel is having troubles in older car systems.
Get one with low pressure or faulty sensor you may need a signal sniffer to find the problem wheel.
Not easy fix if you get fault and parts darts can run up a tidy bill fixing as any warning light can be a mot failure. Sensors. Module. Wiring loom..
One I seen had a button battery inside sensor.

Sponsored Links
Never seen one that just tells you that one tyre is low but not which one. They always tell you which one it is.

Afraid not, Mottie.....’Er indoors 19 plate Honda HRV has you guessing, as did my 65 plate Yeti before I changed it.
John
I’ll just edit....Both of these vehicles use the ABS system to monitor - that’s probably got something to do with it.
J.

Never seen one that just tells you that one tyre is low but not which one. They always tell you which one it is.
Mates Hyundai just failed MOT because tyre pressure light is on. He has no Idea which tyre so I guess you need a computer to connect?

Garage said they can try and fix but probably a Hyundai garage job.

He's thinking of pulling module and wiring pressure light to an adjacent dashboard light. Will look like everything is working fine as will come on at ignition startup

One of the worst things car makers have ever done was to lose the spare wheel and jack.....at least give me a space saver for pity’s sake!
4 times now I’ve had to call on recovery, on average 3 hours whereas I could have been on my way in 20 mins.
John
What cost do you put on your time, bought spare wheel for my Qashqui £146, never used it but comforting to have

Mates Hyundai just failed MOT because tyre pressure light is on. He has no Idea which tyre so I guess you need a computer to connect?
Silly question but has he pumped all tyres up and reset the warning lamp? What year car is it?

Neither of my two hyundais nor my kia, none of which I still have, gave an individual tyre pressure readout nor did they have any way of resetting the tps light other than driving them. When the tps light came on on one of them I pumped all the tyres up to just over recomended then went for a drive. Light went out and I readjusted pressures. No more problems after that although I suppose if I had kept the car rather than getting rid six months later It would have happened again. Pressures do go down slightly over time even with good tyres.

Sponsored Links
Back