Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

Sponsored Links
Mine doesn't.

Avensis.

Sensor in each valve. That's what the tyre place told me last week, anyway.
Maybe I’ve been lucky - as said, I've only seen ones that tell you which one it is. On our A3 the other week, it said "o/s/r tyre pressure low" - but only when it first happened and then when you first started the engine. After about 15 seconds, that warning goes off but the symbol on the dash remains lit until you reset the warning through the dash controls. It is one that monitors it through the ABS though. Other cars I’ve worked on with tpms showed the actual pressures in each tyre. I’d imagine if it didn’t show which tyre was low from inside the vehicle, if it wasn’t obvious you'd have to take a manual reading of each tyre to find the one that was throwing up the reading - assuming you knew what they were in the first place!

Mates Hyundai just failed MOT because tyre pressure light is on. He has no Idea which tyre so I guess you need a computer to connect?
They can only fail the car if the warning light shows a fault in the ABS system - in other words, all tyres correctly inflated but still giving a warning. They can only give it a 'minor' if the warning light shows a fault AND you have an obviously under inflated tyre. So, tell your mate to let some air out and take it back! Tell him to tell them NOT to attempt to pump the tyre up - he has every right to say that. ;)

Last edited:
I've got a Mini Clubman which tells me not only each tyre pressure but also the tyre temperature.

Sponsored Links
They can only fail the car if the warning light shows a fault in the ABS system - in other words, all tyres correctly inflated but still giving a warning. They can only give it a 'minor' if the warning light shows a fault AND you have an obviously under inflated tyre. So, tell your mate to let some air out and take it back! ;)
That's what should happen, but not necessarily what does happen

I've got a Mini Clubman which tells me not only each tyre pressure but also the tyre temperature.
And they (mini) are absoloute nightmares when they play up.

New sensor, programme it and keep fingers crossed you only have to do it once

And they (mini) are absoloute nightmares when they play up.

New sensor, programme it and keep fingers crossed you only have to do it once
But at least the apps are available to do the programming yourself. Just need to pick them up (cheap enough) and get your local kwikfit type place to fit them

But at least the apps are available to do the programming yourself. Just need to pick them up (cheap enough) and get your local kwikfit type place to fit them
I use either snap on or launch Pro systems.

They both make me swear

Never seen one that just tells you that one tyre is low but not which one. They always tell you which one it is.
Both our Honda's tell you a tyre or tyres are low pressure (reduced rolling radius) but not which one(s).

But then they use standard valves unlike BMW's which have pressure monitoring valves.

Silly question but has he pumped all tyres up and reset the warning lamp? What year car is it?
He forgot the spare wheel could be at fault and will add air and see if that fixes it. I can't help think why MOT tester didn't add air to try and fix instead of failing car? Mad world. I'll update here when I find out what's happening

He forgot the spare wheel could be at fault and will add air and see if that fixes it. I can't help think why MOT tester didn't add air to try and fix instead of failing car? Mad world. I'll update here when I find out what's happening
Some systems require you to adjust your pressures then drive the car about for a bit to reset it. He wouldn’t be allowed to do that as part of the test. Nothing to stop your mate trying it though.

My 2008 Mazda 6 had sensors in each wheel but would not tell you which was causing an error.
All in the glovebox when I bought the car. Snapped valve stems (found some replacement stems)
I replaced all the coin cells. Had to be dug out of the sensor (silicon type potting) and replacements soldered back in. Refilled with silicon.
Drove for a short distance and error disappeared.
I don't believe the spare is monitored on this type of system.

Current 2020 Corolla was reporting TPMS error in cold weather. Did not indicate which wheel. Rather disappointing for a fairly new car.
Pumped all tyres to spec and light off.
Possibly has the system that uses the ABS rings to measure rotation.

TPMS is only a fail on 2012 onwards cars. My 08 got failed and then changed to an advisory after I challenged.

One of the worst things car makers have ever done was to lose the spare wheel and jack.....at least give me a space saver for pity’s sake!
4 times now I’ve had to call on recovery, on average 3 hours whereas I could have been on my way in 20 mins.
John
I always get the optional space saver spare kit, having had this experience in the past. I had reason to use it last week. Took 10 mins to fit.

If a manufacturer supplied spare is no available I find a suitable wheel & tyre elsewhere.

Puncture repair kits are useless for sidewall damage.

Sponsored Links
Back