UFH and temperature probe conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Have laid the Premium Pro brand UFH in the living room which will be tiled over.. just can't work out how I install the conduit for the temperature probe as it's around 18mm.

Conduit.jpg

I have seen videos where they chase the insulation board but feel it would still sit proud.

I have the old wooden TnG floor boards which I have overlaid with 6mm No More Ply boards. I can chase that but that's only 6mm.. do I chase the wooden floor boards too?

Please advise and give any hints and tips

Sponsored Links
Any thoughts folks?

I could install it without the conduit but fear if the probe goes faulty.. its game over..

What are the odds of the probe going faulty?

Has anyone changed the probe? How easy/hard it is when it's in the conduit?

Where’s the insulation in this floor?
Why can’t you chase in that?

It's the old tongue and grove wooden floor with 6mm No More Ply boards on which the UFH mat will go.. I am not using the insulation boards because:
  1. It would raise the floor by the time it's tiled and result in a step at the door
  2. The No More Ply boards are insulative too
So I can chase the 6mm but chasing the floor boards would weaken it and cause movement.

Sponsored Links
Has the probe/conduit got to go in the centre of the room, or can it go near the edge?

You mentioned 18mm conduit diameter, presume your floorboards are 18/20mm
The probe looks like the cable is smaller and the end is 18mm. If this can go near the wall perhaps you can fit this in corner and chisel away the floorboards to fit.

I would have thought you will need some form of insulation under the mat, to project the heat back up into the room, otherwise it won’t be very efficient.

No, the probe is fitted to the edge in between the two wires..chasing the floor boards would weaken it resulting in movement which is not good for tiling..

I'm trying to workout:
1) if anyone else was in the same position and what did they do?
2) the odds of probe failing so I can install it without the conduit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back