Underfloor Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Moving to next project which is to tile the living room. I am going to use underfloor electric heating.

It's a wooden floor with 6mm plywood.. I have primed the surface and going to lay heating mat tomorrow.

I have 2 questions and hope someone could keep me right:

1- what's the best way to install the temperature probe? Do I have to use the round conduit or can I apply the temperature probe on the plywood with a duck tape? (Also do I router the floor to make way for the probe?)

2- so I use the self level compound (if so which one is best) or shall I tile over the Mat? I understand it be tricky

Please advise

Sponsored Links
I have 2 questions and hope someone could keep me right:

1- what's the best way to install the temperature probe? Do I have to use the round conduit or can I apply the temperature probe on the plywood with a duck tape? (Also do I router the floor to make way for the probe?)
You can tape the probe down but unless you have have 2 probes you are better to use the tube method. Temp probes can go faulty and if you cannot change it then the U/F heating is no longer useable.
2- so I use the self level compound (if so which one is best) or shall I tile over the Mat? I understand it be tricky

Only ever seen use of SLC to hold mat in place first - just 2 things to concentrate on, MAT and SLC; with not using SLC you have 3/4/5 things to concentrate on, Mat, Tile Adhesive, Tiles, cutting tiles & laying tile adhesive and age of adhesive.

Both cases you have to be careful about walking on the heating mat.

Thanks @wgt52. I wasn't aware that the probes could go faulty so tube makes sense as it would make it easier to change. Is any specific make of probe that reliable which would mitigate the risk?

I will install the tube as you suggest, means I would need to create a channel via router to wooden floor as the conduit (tube) supplied with the mat was thick (I thought it was for the cold wire).

Regarding SLC, you are right I was going to use it to so the mat is attached to the floor.. any specific make I should get? To ensure its for for purpose? E.g. wood/flexible

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back