Ugly PIR lights

Sponsored Links
some one has to like them

why not get a light you do like and a separate pir?

Well I guess I was being lazy and tightfisted! However, that is the fallback position!

Is it simple to wire up this arrangement? I'm guessing supply to PIR and feed through to light, which is only activated when PIR senses someone....... Also, can I use any light fitting suitable for outdoors?

Thinking about this option more, I guess it also means you don't have to have the sensor and light in the same spot. Hmm, p'raps this is becoming a more attractive proposition

Thanks Breezer!

SB

you are correct with your assumptipns, but make sure light can have an ordainairy lamp, not a "energy saver" lamp

also you may be interesetd to know a pir is more sensative to some one walking across it than towards it, so if you put it more to one side and point it across say path to front door it will picj them up earlier

you can even get them with "glow" so that in darkness the lamp is on at say 20% when movement detected it goes to 100%

idea being it just gives an idea where you want to walk to, when you do it lights up, also as lamp never goes out in dark it lasts longer

Sponsored Links
and you can usually wire another switch in parallel to the PIR so you can choose always on or PIR more from the same fitting. Not sure how possible this is with an integrated unit.

Dan

if you try tlc direct, you can get a range of pir switches, i have one fitter in my garden which is the size of a standard switch, has a built in pir, and runs 9 energy saving equipped bulkhead lights ( 3w each) so the garden path is lit up down its entire length.

they also do a nice range of wireless ones so you can have the pir in one location, and the lights else where without having to connect them

they are all fairly cheap as well

and you can usually wire another switch in parallel to the PIR so you can choose always on or PIR more from the same fitting. Not sure how possible this is with an integrated unit.

A common arrangement with integrated units is to have some extra electronics inside so that you can get Always On or PIR on a single supply. If you switch any of my PIR lights Off then On again within a second the light will go into Always On mode. Switch off for ten seconds and it reverts to PIR mode. I don't have any separate PIR switches but I'd expect them to be available with the same circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back