UK Electricity Supply Capacity

John, not sure to be honest.

I did notice that this report prefers to work in Wh over W.
Only the paragraph that I copied has W. The remainder is Wh.

The increase in solar/ wind is extensive ly details the following being a good example if the big change:

.24 Generation from wind and solar4 sources increased to 61.5 TWh in 2017 from 47.7 TWh in
2016 (+29.1 per cent). This large increase was largely a result of a 22.6 per cent increase in wind
capacity and a 7.3 per cent increase in solar capacity. A capacity increase of 1.0 per cent helped to
increase natural hydro generation by 10.0 per cent to 5.9 TWh. Additionally, generation from bio-
energy (including biodegradable wastes) increased to 31.9 TWh, an increase of 6.0 per cent compared to 2016.

Sponsored Links
I equally I might be wrong, but I would read the 106 as the absolute maximum capacity, full input from renewables and all other capacity in full working order. Renewables will rarely if ever produce 100% of their rated input to the grid. Conventional generation likewise is never 100% available, generators etc., will be taken off line for repair and refurbishment etc..
Yes, all possible, but very different from SFK's suggestion that the figures related to distribution capacity, which was currently some 35% greater than current maximum generation capacity.

Whatever, all the figures we're talking about (whether 70 GB, 106 GB or whatever) are way above the usual 30-35 GW demand.

There must be someone out there who actually understands what these various figures actually relate to?

Kind Regards, John

Yes, all possible, but very different from SFK's suggestion that the figures related to distribution capacity, which was currently some 35% greater than current maximum generation capacity.

Whatever, all the figures we're talking about (whether 70 GB, 106 GB or whatever) are way above the usual 30-35 GW demand.

There must be someone out there who actually understands what these various figures actually relate to?

Kind Regards, John

I have seen it go very close to the red on the Gridwatch web site. Look back through the historical demand figures.

Sponsored Links
Harry, good point. 71GW is Normal value. ... 106GW is if all operating, and sunny and windy. ... I like that suggestion.
Hmmm. I find that hard to believe. If there were anything approaching 40 GW theoretically available (sometimes, even if only occasionally) from renewables, there would be times when all, or virtually all, of the UK demand could be satisfied by just that - but the reality is that the proportion of UK demand satisfied by renewables is rarely much over 25-30%.

Kind Regards, John

I have seen it go very close to the red on the Gridwatch web site. Look back through the historical demand figures.
I think I must be missing something, since I can find no 'historical demand figures' earlier than 'last year' during which year it appears that total demand rose (very briefly) to (very slightly) above 40 GW on only a couple of occasions. The 'red zone' starts at about 65 GW.

Kind Regards, John

I think I must be missing something, since I can find no 'historical demand figures' earlier than 'last year' during which year it appears that total demand rose (very briefly) to (very slightly) above 40 GW on only a couple of occasions. The 'red zone' starts at about 65 GW.

Kind Regards, John

TNP who referred to earlier, draws his figures automatically from an official web site, to generate the dials. The site(?) has historical generation and demand data. I have unfortunately forgotten the site(?) where he grabs the data from.

TNP who referred to earlier, draws his figures automatically from an official web site, to generate the dials. The site(?) has historical generation and demand data. I have unfortunately forgotten the site(?) where he grabs the data from.
Ah, fair enough. It sounded as if you were talking about the Gridwatch site itself - which, as I said, appears to have no historical data prior to 'last year'.

Kind Regards, John

I get the impression grid connected storage is the future for electricity networks -it solves the issue of solar and wind renewables.

12Gw by 2021

I get the impression grid connected storage is the future for electricity networks -it solves the issue of solar and wind renewables.
That certainly will/would be a good step in the right direction as regards getting the renewables properly into the equation.
12Gw by 2021
That's only a couple of years. How far (if at all!) have they got so far, and what form(s) of storage are we talking about?

Kind Regards, John

Having said that, I think it would be totally wrong to completely ignore renewables, given that they currently have the potential to service much of our current demand, particularly during hours of daylight, and are continuing to increase. Whilst there will obviously be occasional periods like you mention (over 8 years ago), when there is little wind and short days, things will more-often-than-not 'work out' reasonably well.
Indeed, and the renewables people made a big thing of the day when there was zero coal output for teh first time a couple of years ago. Yeah great - when you've got low demand, and good conditions for renewables ("the right sort of wind" and sunny), then things like coal will get shut down. And that is part of the problem - as I've mentioned before. When that coal (or gas, or ...) station is shut down, it's earning nothing yet many of the operating costs are still there. Not only that, but there's a significant cost is shutting down and starting up again (not least the thermal cycling of plant). So reduced income + static costs + additional costs = plant only economic with availability payments.
There was a period a few years ago when the BMReports site showed a forecast margin (excess of supply capacity over demand) that went negative - by a very significant amount. IIRC it coincided with announcements of some large coal plants shutting down for good. Those deficits disappeared after a while - I think when the plant operators were persuaded (with availability payments) to keep the plants available.

But "more-often-than-not 'work out' reasonably well" is not good enough unless we are happy to change to "non reliable" supplies as standard. IMO this is primarily what "smart" meters are about - getting the foundations for that in place. When "green tariffs" are interruptible supplies by default, AND people subscribe to them in significant numers - then I'll believe in the hype :whistle:
We could, of course, never rely on only 'renewables', but they are coming to be an increasingly important contributor. Given the inevitable eventual exhaustion of fossil fuels, an ultimate future based on 'renewables' plus nuclear (ideally fission) would seem pretty inevitable (albeit beyond any of our lifespans).
Those two between them would not be sufficient. While nuclear is not inherently inflexible, the designs currently being built or thought about really do not suit variable output - especially trying to follow not just demand changes but also make up for variations in supply from renewables. Things like pumped storage help - but we have limited capacity and I think trying to significantly increase that would meet "considerable resistance" - I can imagine the reaction if you (for example) wanted to dam up Windermere (it's got a huge surface area so ideal as a PS lake) at Newby Bridge and raise it's level by (say) 10m :LOL:
And realistically, that's about it as far as large scale storage goes.

As an example EDF currently has about 1.5GW offline
https://www.edfenergy.com/energy/power-station/daily-statuses
As little as that. It's normal for a lot of plant to be unavailable during summer - there's enough margin to allow such shutdowns in a planned manner for routine maintenance. I recall looking at the graphs in the old BMReports and there was generally a distinct dip in forecast supply capacity during summer.

Yes indeed, in much the same way that transporter technology (c.f. Star Trek) solves transport problems :rolleyes:
12Gw by 2021
12GW is a meaningless figure. Rack up a few supercaps and you can probably generate multi-megawatt powers in your living room - for a few microseconds.
For example, just down the road from me, there's a 49MW battery that apparently went live just before Christmas. Yup, that's a large shed full of laptop batteries (no, not literally, but same chemistry) and electronics. And it can provide (if used in that way) just 24.5MWh. Note that it's part of a project refurbishing a CCGT and some fast reacting (I assume OCGT) units.
I have seen a figure for how much this plant cost, but at the moment all I can find is it being part of a bigger £180M project. I doubt that it works out at less than £1M/MW of rating or £2M/MWh of storage capacity - probably much more.

Now, a few years ago I recall reading an article in one of the IET journals where someone had analysed historical wind patterns (looking at wind turbine output records). There are indeed periods (albeit short) where there is no significant wind across huge areas - that's all the way from Scandinavia down to Spain. So the myth that "there's always wind somewhere" is just that - a myth. Just building bigger interconnects won't solve that problem.
In addition, I've read another article from further back, in an IEE journal, showing how one year we had a static high pressure system over the whole of southern Scandinavia and western Europe. More or less no wind across most of the continent for about 10 days. So what does that do for the storage requirements ?
Lets say we've become very reliant on renewables, we've imagined a significant amount of storage into existence which gets us along on a day to day basis - and as a result have failed to built any significant new nuclear capacity, and let a lot of old plant be scrapped. Lets say in a winter period like that 10 day one mentioned (and I suspect Dec 2010 was similar) we are (say) just 10GW short - not inconceivable. 10GW for one day is 240GWh - that's ten thousand of the above mentioned battery units. Over 10 days, it's one hundred thousand of them needed.
In practical terms, we probably wouldn't have the lithium to even make the batteries. That's ignoring the costs etc.

OK, we probably wouldn't have an average deficit of 10GW. But it does slightly show up the shear scale of storage required - hence my comment about having "imagined into existence" such a level of capacity. That is what many in the renewables lobby rely on, handwaving away intermittency problems with "will be solved by storage" - without actually coming up with actually viable and economic options for creating it.

To expand on that battery project down the road ...
It is NOT designed for storage ! At least not in the way that most people think.
It is designed to provide second by second supply/load to stabilise the grid against short term fluctuations in supply and demand. It's part of a project that includes two fast response gas turbines (I assume OCGT) which can respond in a matter of minutes (or less), and a CCGT that can respond in 10s of minutes.
Thus the battery tank can cover a rapid changes while the OCGT responds, and the OCGT is there to cover while the CCGT responds.

What the battery plant is not designed to do is provide 49MW for half an hour, or 24.5MW for an hour. That would severely affect battery life for one thing !

I do still have concerns about massive capacity batteries based on lithium chemistry being dotted around the environment.

Small lithium batteries are considered a hazard by the air transport industry both as freight consignments and in carry on luggage.

Guidance video HERE mentions that a battery of 100 Watt hours is a significant hazard.

Pumped water storage such as DINORWIG seem to be a reasonable efficient way to store power from wind until the times when there is no wind. Dinorig has a relatively small upper lake so run time ( generation ) is limited. A similar scheme with a larger upper reservoir could be a way forward.

But "more-often-than-not 'work out' reasonably well" is not good enough unless we are happy to change to "non reliable" supplies as standard.
Sure, but if one reached the situation of "more-often-than-not 'work out' reasonably well" in relation to, say, renewables, that would minimise the amount of flexible generation by other means (and/or storage) that was needed to 'fill in the gaps' and turn it into a "reliable" supply.
Those two between them would not be sufficient. While nuclear is not inherently inflexible, the designs currently being built or thought about really do not suit variable output - especially trying to follow not just demand changes but also make up for variations in supply from renewables. Things like pumped storage help - but we have limited capacity and I think trying to significantly increase that would meet "considerable resistance" ...
It's all very well saying "would not be sufficient", and I can understand the thinking behind your statement, but once (beyond our lifetimes), all fossil fuels (and, I suppose, trees etc.!) are exhausted, what alternatives will there be beyond 'renewables' and nuclear?

Some lateral thinking is clearly required. If/when we do end up with just those two options, and given that there are practical limits (and limitations) to 'renewables', we'll be stuck with nuclear (directly or indirectly) for the rest- and, given it's (at least at present) relative inflexibility, that probably means that what we will be looking for will be much better 'storage' options. To the best of my knowledge, batteries (in the widest sense) and pumped storage are the only two significant players - but are any other approaches being explored, I wonder? ....

.... as I said, some lateral thinking is presumably required (and, I imagine, is already happening). Storage of useful amounts of energy in 'thermal stores' would probably not be practical, viable, or acceptable. However, what about using nuclear-generated electricity to produce burnable gas or liquid fuels? The simplest, and 'cleanest' variant of that would presumably be to use the electricity to generate hydrogen by electrolysis of water - and that would have zero impact on global resources, since burning the hydrogen would regenerate the same amount of water as had been used to create it.

Kind Regards, John

Pumped water storage such as DINORWIG seem to be a reasonable efficient way to store power from wind until the times when there is no wind. Dinorig has a relatively small upper lake so run time ( generation ) is limited. A similar scheme with a larger upper reservoir could be a way forward.

I agree with the larger lake, but where in the UK could you build that? To be worthwhile, it has to have a suitable head / height.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back