UK Mains Plug - "Flex Grip" Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys!

Long time reader, first time poster here with a question regarding UK mains plugs.

I'm going to be making some custom surge protector power strips to replace some existing ones, and I'm trying to find out the name of a specific part that sits on the flex, just under the plug itself.

Most plugs don't seem to have them (they seem to be most common on moulded plugs), but I'm wanting to add that extra bit of professional flair.

I put half an hour into Google but couldn't find anything mentioning what they're called, let alone where to get them from.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Google for ! strain relief cable !

strain-relief-xx014-1093.jpg

Any idea where I can pick a few of these up?

I'm only seeing some "spring" types on eBay and they look like they'd not even fit a BS1363 plug.

Sponsored Links
Have you thought about using a lead with a proper moulded plug on it?

If I hadn't already purchased all the gear I'd have probably gone for something like this.

I can make do without the strain relief dealios if they're not readily available; they're intended more as the 'cherry on top', as it were! :D

CPC might have them

I've dropped them a mail explaining what I'm after - found something on the site that *sort of* looks like it might be it, but doesn't have any photographs so I can't be sure.

Cheers for the lead!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=cable+strain+relief&rt=nc

Couldn't find any of the type I was showing in the OP - are these 'spring' types good enough for the job, then?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I don't know. I was just googling out of interest.

Ahh, fair enough. I broke out the callipers anyway to see if any of these would fit into the bottom part of a BS1363 and they're much too large - I think they're designed for network or communications cable.

I emailed a few other companies who might be able to source them - in addition to CPC - and will report back if I manage to find someone who can get them.

I may just "finish" the lead below the plug using an inch or two of appropriately-coloured heat-shrink if I can't find a provider. Heat shrink doesn't look too bad and I'd be able to colour-code each plug I fit depending on the fuse installed. A shame it doesn't do much about the gaping hole where the lead goes into the plug, though!

diynot_shrinkedplug.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back