Ukraine counter offensive

The UK used to 'big itself up' with it's military boasts...

Do you think an Iraq style (illegal) campaign could be undertaken now?
Or even another Falklands folly?

And we'd have been defeated by Ukraine, let alone russia in a one to one confrontation wherever that may take place!

Small tactical nukes can be used in a battle situation, and putin has plenty of those.
The UK has none, so it's only 'trump cards' are the medium power nukes which are indeed not of any use in a battlefield situation.

And the fact that the Ukranians have turned out to be so resilient means that the russian rat when cornered may well unleash a 'demonstration' attack of increased magnitude...

What do you think will be the response?

A Full blown nuclear war

Best you keep
Yer duffel bag packed and yer plimsols handy

Oh and don’t forget to get jabbed up just in case :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
It's a different sort of war. Flesh rips as it always did, but have we had one before where one side's players don't have meat in the mincer?
How will Ukraine feel, and how well can they fight, if even the supporting rounds of applause flag, less keen to drown the urges to sue for peace?
Biden is taking over from Zelensky as Putin's agonist, and Biden is keen to reveal to everyone, what he won't send.
The commies may be stupefyingly inept, but they do have numbers, for now. Stalin's new bronze bust is today being unveiled in Volvograd, as Ukraine's numbers, in ammunition, decline. Ol Joe's soundbites resonate.

A bust of dictator Joseph Stalin was unveiled in the southern Russian city of Volgograd on Wednesday on the eve of commemorations of the Soviet victory in the Battle of Stalingrad.
The bronze bust was unveiled ahead of President Vladimir Putin's visit to Volgograd, formerly known as Stalingrad, on Thursday, for high-profile celebrations that will include a military parade.

video@EuroNews

I wonder if Putin will initiate the famous Stalin Order (227) issued on the 28th July, 1942; "Not one step back ", the Red Army was expected to stand and fight. The order introduced the use of "Zagradbats", (blocking detachments) to be deployed behind units to stiffen the resolve in attack and deter unauthorised retreat from the battlefield under fire, which could be enforced by immediate summary execution.
Reports allege some Russian soldiers who tried to run during the Ukrainian counter-offensive were gunned down so it's likely Russian officers will be made to understand the importance of the Spring offensive in Donetsk.

(Volgograd is a museum and a memorial to the insane fighting over the winter of 1942-43; you can still see the evidence all over buildings, such as the railway station where the 13th Guards were cut to ribbons trying to establish a bridgehead on the west bank of the Volga: only an estimated 300 men were left by the end of the battle out of a division 10,000 strong.)

@TracesofWar.com

The Battle of Stalingrad is revered in Russia and Putin will doubtless use the anniversary to remind his troops what it means to fight for the Motherland. And die. I don't imagine they'll make the same mistakes as last year and fresh troops will quickly learn that there's only one way forward and no chance of retreat once the offensive begins.

Last edited:
Though Putin has a troubling lack of men of military age. Russian population has been in decline for many years, and large numbers have fled.

His remaining popularity in Moscow and major cities is due to the practice of conscripting cannon fodder from the second-class citizens of rural towns and non-Russian republics. Even the convicts have heard the news that volunteering for the chef is not a good career move.

Sponsored Links
Crimea was the Sudetenland, went unchallenged, and Ukraine was supposed to be the Poland.
Austria was annexed first after a rigged election and before Sudeten so one could pick that. They were all warnings.:rolleyes:

The difference I pointed out is that none of these or later invaded countries were supported by other countries in advance of the invasion. US had been sending aid to Ukraine for "years" and military aid since the December, and of course ramped it up.
US with others, can and may push heavily on Ukraine to go along with a settlement of some sort.

That was't the case in WW2.

Though Putin has a troubling lack of men of military age. Russian population has been in decline for many years, and large numbers have fled.

His remaining popularity in Moscow and major cities is due to the practice of conscripting cannon fodder from the second-class citizens of rural towns and non-Russian republics. Even the convicts have heard the news that volunteering for the chef is not a good career move.
I don't know what evidence you base your tabloid conclusion on, but here's another 2000000 more troops to be available.

Ukraine has declared martial law. I saw some footage on their recruitment recently. Seems there is some around on mass media. Difficult to form any opinion from it. Looked like a small crew bus with a couple of military going around picking people out with many that could not be recruited just walking around normally in a shopping area and taking no notice. Can't say it showed any signs of force being used.

Pass - the poster reckoned it was disgusting. The martial law suggests they can call up anyone of their fighting age range which is broad.

I don't know what evidence you base your tabloid conclusion on, but here's another 2000000 more troops to be available.

It looks like the Daily Mail has made a headline out of an opinion piece by a dodgy professor, judging by my rather limited research online

Putin will lose lots of support if he imposes martial law

Exactly. These Tabloids. Only there to feed diynot donuts. Same source as JD....?

Putnm has to decide what he will settle for, and make it clear.

But Ukraine probably wouldn't settle for it
But the yanks may force them.

"Pass" !

No matter how many 'troops' they muster, from what I have seen on social media of intercepted phone calls from the Russian front lines, complaining to their wives/mums of their few days training in how to fire rusty AK47s, before being forced forward as cannon fodder, does not make for an effective army.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Russians did have some groups of people being trained properly in addition to the ones they use as self propelled sandbags.

Look a bit further. Try "+Russia +demographics +birthrate" or something like that. It's quite well known and has been for years. I might be able to find a "population by age" chart but I can't be bothered to spend much time on you. Try these.

https___d6c748xw2pzm8.cloudfront.net_prod_a9a4d7f0-b595-11ec-abe1-df48d34071fb-standard.png

"Russia has suffered a sharp brain drain in the tech sector since war broke out in late February. In the subsequent four weeks, between 50,000 and 70,000 workers in the sector left the country, an industry association chief said in March in a report to a Russian parliamentary commission.'

https___d6c748xw2pzm8.cloudfront.net_prod_645b2fa0-b18f-11ec-9797-af26da0aebe0-standard (1).png

Sponsored Links
Back