Ukraine counter offensive

Where did Yugoslavia go? Remind us.
I presume you are referring to the Nato bombing of Serbia.

American/Nato firepower directed at a small nation that couldn't defend itself.
Not a fair comparison.

Sponsored Links
I presume you are referring to the Nato bombing of Serbia.

American/Nato firepower directed at a small nation that couldn't defend itself.
Not a fair comparison.
Don't be so ignorant. There was plenty of fighting in several small wars before NATO got involved.

But your latest stupid criteria would also rule out the Hungarian revolution, the 1968 Warsaw pact invasion of Czechoslovakia, The Russian invasion of Transnitria, the Russian invasion of Georgia etc.

It's amazing how far you're willing to go to ignore the fact that Russia is an expansionist empire.

Yep Nato involvement in the Balkans

Ounce again the Americans had to come to europes aid to sort a conflict

And let’s not forget the EU had observers ??? Monitoring the conflict

Pictures on national TV of captured British army personal / troops captured by the Serb militia chained to lampposts

Than there was the Dutch army contingent who abandoned there post and thousands of civilians who were left to the mercy of that Serb fruit cake who duly executed all the men and boys

The entire caper was a disgrace and shame on the European countries that stood by and let it happen

There were even concentration
/ execution camps similar to Nazi Germany in the 1940s

Sponsored Links
Don't be so ignorant
The Soviet empire voted itself out of existence decades ago.
Didn't you know that.
The only expansionist empire today is the EU, fortunately this expansion is being increasingly challenged.

Putin sent the "mighty" Russian army to invade and occupy a neighbouring country
Stop watching Tik Tok.
The EU has gone one regime change too far and now its paying the price.
Until the EU stops interfering in the internal affairs of other countries, there will be no peace in Europe.

I don't know what you have seen on it, but it seems to upset you. Perhaps you should stop.

I have never watched it.

Putin's Russia invades its neighbours. So there is European war.

Live news: Russian fighter jet strikes US drone over Black Sea​

Meanwhile, Ron DeSantis, the substitute Trump, is trying the "a quarrel in a far away country between people of whom we know nothing"
ploy to appeal to America's isolationist tendency.

"In a statement issued to Tucker Carlson, the firebrand Fox News host who has used his primetime television show to praise Vladimir Putin and cast doubt on US support for Ukraine, DeSantis described the war as a “territorial dispute”, and said that “becoming further entangled” was not in America’s “vital interests”.

FT.com

(Reuters) - The war in Ukraine is driven by the interests of several "empires" and not just of Russia's, Pope Francis said in an interview published on Friday.

The pontiff was speaking to Italian Swiss television RSI, in an interview due to be broadcast on Sunday. Extracts were published on Friday by Italian dailies La Repubblica, La Stampa and Corriere della Sera.

"It's typical of empires to put nations in second place," he added. "The battlefield is Ukraine, everyone is fighting there. This makes us think of the arms industry."
He also said an expert had told him the world's hungry could be fed if the armaments business were closed for a year. "War is waged, old weapons are sold and new ones are tested."

The pope was criticised last year for appearing to hand some of the responsibility for the war to NATO for expanding into Ukraine. He cited "the barking of NATO at the door of Russia", and said "i can't say if it provoked anger but it facilitated it." He denied he supported Russia's invasion and added "i am against reducing the complexity to a distinction between good and bad." He also decried the cruelty of Russian soldiers and warned the Patriarch of Moscow against becoming "the altar boy of Putin."

Last edited:
So, the Russian spring offensive seems to have failed to deliver any significant gains. They're either still hoarding amunition for a large offensive or are running short. It feels like they're using their air power more aggressively at the moment based on the recent reports of lost aircraft. They were around one a month over winter but are now closer to one a week.

On the other side, the Ukrainian Leopard and Challenger tank led units are being formed up, presumably for use after mud season ends.

3000.jpg

Ukraine’s top ground forces commander, Col Gen Oleksandr Syrskyi, said his forces would soon begin a counter offensive after withstanding Russia’s brutal winter campaign. He said Russia’s Wagner mercenaries, who have been at the frontline of Moscow’s assault on eastern and southern Ukraine, “are losing considerable strength and are running out of steam”.

“Very soon, we will take advantage of this opportunity, as we did in the past near Kyiv, Kharkiv, Balakliia and Kupiansk,” he said, listing Ukrainian counteroffensives last year that recaptured swathes of land.

There was no immediate response from Moscow to suggestions its forces in Bakhmut were losing momentum, but Wagner boss Yevgeny Prigozhin issued statements in recent days, warning of a Ukrainian counterassault. On Monday, Prigozhin published a letter to the Russian defence minister, Sergei Shoigu, saying Ukraine aimed to cut off Wagner’s forces from Russia’s regular troops.

Reuters journalists near the frontline north of Bakhmut saw signs consistent with the suggestion that the Russian offensive in the area could be waning. At a Ukrainian-held village west of Soledar, on Bakhmut’s northern outskirts, the intensity of the Russian bombardment noticeably lessened from two days earlier.

“It was really hot here a week ago, but in the last three days it has been more quiet,” said a Ukrainian soldier who used the call sign Kamin (Stone). “We can see this in the enemy’s airstrikes. If before there were five-six air raids in a day, today we had only one helicopter attack,” said the soldier.

I wonder how the Ukranian ground forces are feeling about one of their senior commanders going public about potential counter offences. I would rather they keep it quiet. We all know its going to happen........just don't talk about it.

Sponsored Links
Back