Ukraine counter offensive

Sponsored Links
Oh go on, I'll mention Brexit, I assume it hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread.;)

I suppose I adapted. Do you still write Constantinople instead of Istanbul?
Istanbul has been called Istanbul in Britain since before I was born. When did you change from Kiev to Kyiv?

Sponsored Links
When did you change from Kiev to Kyiv?
Kiev is linked to the "Russification" of Ukraine and, since 1995, has legally been called Kyiv. It has become more popular since the illegal invasion of Ukraine. Why do you object so much to that?

Kiev is linked to the "Russification" of Ukraine and, since 1995, has legally been called Kyiv. It has become more popular since the illegal invasion of Ukraine. Why do you object so much to that?
I say Bombay, just as I say Peking, Burma, Kiev, Londonderry etc.

The replacement of these English words for their foreign equivalents is part of the anti-British project well under way in the British media and institutions. It is as Orwell predicted in "Politics and the English Language" when he said that if words and speech are subtly altered or removed by the powers-that-be, thinking will also be changed because you can no longer think in those naughty words any more...

In using these words you think you are being good and kind, but you are being brainwashed into effacing your own culture.
We've done this before. He doesn't have any respect for the actual people who live anywhere that isn't English.

French cathedral city Rheims is a good one for screwing Tommy.

They pronounce it something like Rhance. 'O' level not much help with that one!

Last edited:
since 1995, has legally been called Kyiv
Over there maybe, but over here in Britain, for as long as I can remember (and it used to be on those old radio dials) we have written or spoken it as Kiev, until...
It has become more popular since the illegal invasion of Ukraine.
Why do you object so much to that?
As a conservative I do not like and am suspicious of change. Change is nearly always for the worst. Changing a word might sound trivial but it can be a harmful political act, and in this case it actually is. The word Kiev is the English language version of the city's name; abolish the word and you are abolishing part of Britain - and that is the harmful political act. It has been imposed on us by Britain haters, most noticeably the BBC.

Many British people are pretending that they have used "Kyiv" for a long time, when in fact they would have made the change from Kiev only from at least March this year.

How long do you usually need to adapt? Be careful next time you sing the National Anthem. (y)
That is entirely different; we have a new monarch, which is a change of something, rather than merely a change of the name of something .

. The word Kiev is the English language version of the city's name; abolish the word and you are abolishing part of Britain - and that is the harmful political act. It has been imposed on us by Britain haters, most noticeably the BBC.
No-one is abolishing anything.
If you want to carry on using Kiev, that's entirely up to you, but the correct pronunciation is something resembling Kyiv.
I call Paris, Paree, (we don't say "gay Paris", we say "gay Paree".) but you don't have to, nor does anyone else if they don't want to.

Some on here might call London, Lodinium, (I'm not sure exactly where the emphasis would have been in that name), others might call it Londres, but that's OK also.
Each to their own, but you can't impose your opinion on others.
Well you can try, but be prepared to be shouted down.

You'd better not use any foreign expressions adopted into English either: creme de la creme, per se, ect, ipso facto, bon voyage, auf wiedersehen, etc.

Last edited:
How long do you usually need to adapt? Be careful next time you sing the National Anthem. (y)
Especially when you get to the verse about Marshall Wade?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Back