Under 21 rule

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The under 21 idea is stupid. A 21 year old looks the same as an 18 year old. So why bother? People are still getting served with alcohol underage, and retailers are still being prosecuted.

In the states, some areas have an "under 30 policy". And i think this should be implemented here. Anyone who looks under 30 gets ID'd. This, i think, would negate ALL risk from underage sales of alcohol. I have yet to meet an 18 year old who looks 30. Brilliant idea. Bring it on.

Make it the law, or "government guidelines". I am all for it, if it protects us license holders and our staff better.

Any opinions?

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
Any opinions?:cool: :rolleyes: :evil: :p :oops: :D :) :eek: :idea:

Yes. I'm of the opinion that over liberal and inappropriate use of the site Emoticons severely weaken their impact.

crafty1289 said:
In the states, some areas have an "under 30 policy". And i think this should be implemented here. Anyone who looks under 30 gets ID'd. This, i think, would negate ALL risk from underage sales of alcohol. I have yet to meet an 18 year old who looks 30. Brilliant idea. Bring it on.
In the states they have a policy of asking for ID whatever the age - Got refused entry to a pub in NY because I didn't have my passport, and I'm a good deal older than 30..!

I'd call that stupid, but no doubt it'll be 'follow the yanks' over here.. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
lower the legal age for drinking to 16

you can get married at 16 and die for your country at 18

wtf are u lot on where u never young

i would rather they drank in a pub than in a back lane

Also afaik an under 18 can sell alcohol in a licensed premises as long as they are supervised.

As manager, don't you have the final in who buys and who flies?

If it were me, I'd err on the side of caution, especially in Rotherham...!

No offence to Rotherham, but like all similar towns, they have a problem with u/age drinkers trying to blag a sale of alcohol.

If in doubt ask for ID,

If anyone is offended just explain the consequences.

In the shops round here, anyone who looks anything up to mid 20's gets asked for ID when buying booze. Thing is, if the supermarkets are imposing an over 21 rule and the legal drinking age is 18 then it's a bit unfair.

What about kids who are 18, 19 or 20 and want to buy booze as a present for a relative or to go to a party?

I used to go drinking in pubs when I was 16 and I don't have a drink problem, never have done. In fact I am virtually tee-total.

I think the under 21 rule is that everyone who looks under 21 gets ID's , not that everyone who looks under 21 is refused service

Brightness said:
In the shops round here, anyone who looks anything up to mid 20's gets asked for ID when buying booze. Thing is, if the supermarkets are imposing an over 21 rule and the legal drinking age is 18 then it's a bit unfair.

What about kids who are 18, 19 or 20 and want to buy booze as a present for a relative or to go to a party?

I used to go drinking in pubs when I was 16 and I don't have a drink problem, never have done. In fact I am virtually tee-total.

They are just protecting themselves, they will still sell as long as the buyer can prove they are old enough. Imagine the outcry if a huge national chain start supplying drink to minors.

I know they are protecting themselves Dg123 but no they won't sell it - they are not just checking their ID's - if the person IS under 21 then they refuse to sell :rolleyes:

Last week I was behind a young couple with a baby and he didn't have his ID, she did and she was 20 - they were refused the 2 bottles of wine :rolleyes: . Completely ridiculous :rolleyes:

Brightness said:
I know they are protecting themselves Dg123 but no they won't sell it - they are not just checking their ID's - if the person IS under 21 then they refuse to sell :rolleyes:

Last week I was behind a young couple with a baby and he didn't have his ID, she did and she was 20 - they were refused the 2 bottles of wine :rolleyes: . Completely ridiculous :rolleyes:

I stand corrected. In our locality they check ages but serve if legal.

Brightness said:

Thats mad. Bet they are loosing trade left right and centre.

Secure, slag off rotherham as much as you want, i dont live there.

The under 21 rule, for anyone who somehow doesn't know, is a system whereby if you LOOK under 21, you will get asked for ID to proove you are OVER 18. A good idea in principle, BUT my opinion is that many 18 year olds look 21, and many 21 year olds look 18, there isn't much distinction between the 2. So a higher age should be used for safety, to protect licence holders - 25, or 30 maybe.

The company i work for was the first to implement the under 21 scheme (AFAIK), so perhaps they will be the first to raise it to 25, given that many stores are being tested recently, and several failing :( . They keep saying that none of our stores can afford to stop selling alcohol, so if any of them loose a premises licence, they shut down. full stop. :cry: Its in our best interests to have as much protection from this as possible.

Sponsored Links
Back