Under cabinet LEDs running too hot?

Sponsored Links
For what it is worth....

The 12 volt DC "transformer" supplying a 12 volt LED table lamp had to be replaced after it was crunched. LED lamp now runs hot with the new 12 volt DC supply, connected to a 12 volt battery it barely gets warm.

Conclusion, The output from the new 12 volt DC "transformer" has a waveform that disrupts the operation of the LED driver in the lamp.

One more case of an electronic " transformer" with 12 volt (eff) DC output not being compatible with a lamp that works perfectly on steady state 12 v DC

May the OP has a "transformer" that is not compatible with the drivers inthe LED lamps.

Could it be your just measuring a small hotspot and the rest of the cabinet is considerably cooler?

Oh yeah this is definitely the case. But there's still a patch of cupboard that's so hot as to be ruled out for some uses – I just thought with LEDs that shouldn't be happening.

Why might I need to replace the power supply?

I don't think the problem can be that the transformer is incompatible with the LEDs because they're both manufactured by Sycamore (and brand new).

Have you checked as Flameport said that they have actually fitted Led, some halogens look similar due to the frosted glass, can you post a picture of the fitting turned off, if it has a removable lens then its likely a halogen lamp.

shopping

Sponsored Links
Ah OK, the way thats fitted its no supprise you have a small hotspot right above the light. With it recessed into the base of the cabinet like that there will be hardly any wood between the inside of the cabinet and the top of the light - even the fairly low heat from LEDs would easily penetrate it.

Last edited:
the black area is that shape and black to dissipate heat.
the fitter has effectively wrapped it up.
I doubt if the company would replace a light that fails if it's been fitted like that

It does however seem to be how the recessed version is advertised to be fitted.

Yeah I just found instructions for the sycamore sirius connect 2.6w (assuming Im looking at the correct version) and it is suitable for fitting into a blind hole.

It does however seem to be how the recessed version is advertised to be fitted.
Yes, it seems that's correct, but it seems a little odd - I wouldn't imagine that the finned heat sink will achieve very much when put into a blind 'hole' like that, so that the only real method of heat dissipation would be conduction through the remaining chipboard (hence the OP's 'hot spot). However, I'm still surprised by the suggestion that it could cause a 'general' 10° rise of temp within the cabinet in 25/whatever minutes.

Kind Regards, John

However, I'm still surprised by the suggestion that it could cause a 'general' 10° rise of temp within the cabinet in 25/whatever minutes.

My initial impression was that the whole cupboard had effectivley become hot enough to be a warming draw, but it was clarified that it was a localised heating issue just above the lights which is where the temperature was being measured.

My initial impression was that the whole cupboard had effectivley become hot enough to be a warming draw, but it was clarified that it was a localised heating issue just above the lights which is where the temperature was being measured.
Yes, I saw that, but I was a bit confused given the OP's initial comment that he feared that "spices will go stale really quickly and wine will basically cook in the bottle".

Kind Regards, John

Yes, I saw that, but I was a bit confused given the OP's initial comment that he feared that "spices will go stale really quickly and wine will basically cook in the bottle".

Oh yeah I didn't mean this about the entire cupboard – I just meant on the bottom shelf near the hot spot, where I think it does apply (for instance temperatures over 21°C can permanently taint the flavor of wine so 30°C is an absolute disaster). Sorry, I probably shouldn't have used the phrase "ambient temperature" in my original post because it caused a lot of confusion – like I said, I was measuring in the air right above the lights.

Thanks for your replies all the same. So is the consensus now that the heat is inevitable and I should just work around it?

Oh yeah I didn't mean this about the entire cupboard – I just meant on the bottom shelf near the hot spot, where I think it does apply (for instance temperatures over 21°C can permanently taint the flavor of wine so 30°C is an absolute disaster).
Fair enough. Mind you, even if the bottle were standing right on the 'hot spot', I doubt that the wine in a bottle would get anywhere near that 30° - particularly given that the lights are presumably not going to be on 24/7.
Thanks for your replies all the same. So is the consensus now that the heat is inevitable and I should just work around it?
You're welcome. Particularly with that method of installation, some degree of heating (a 'hot spot') is inevitable - but, as above, whether or not things within the cupboard get significantly heated is, I think, a different matter.

Why not sit a (glass) bottle of wine (or any other similar liquid) right over one of the 'hot spots' whilst the light is on for its usual duration, then open the bottle and measure the temperature of the contents?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back