Under cupboard lighting for the kitchen

It's a new kitchen going in from scratch, so have the lights controlled from the same switch plate(s) as the main lights, then they can be turned on at the same time, or separately, according to the whim of the turner-on.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info, so it seems I’m good to just carry on from the ceiling rose.
Unless you have a traditional pendant lights hanging down from the ceiling you do not need roses, so don't install any.

There is a normal ceiling rose in there at the moment, and switch plate next to the door. What I'd like to do is put in a 2 gang switch plate for neatness so that they can be controlled separately.

There is a normal ceiling rose in there at the moment, and switch plate next to the door. What I'd like to do is put in a 2 gang switch plate for neatness so that they can be controlled separately.
That should be no problem. Assuming that just the one switch currently serves the light, you would either have to add a secon d twin+earth cable to the switch, or else change the existing cable to the switch (presumably currently twin+earth) to 3-core+earth cable. You will also probably need a junction box, ideally close to the ceiling rose.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
I'll look at running a second T+E and a junction box as first choice. In my mind this will keep it simple and separate. What size T+E would I be looking at for this 1.0 or 1.5?

I'll look at running a second T+E and a junction box as first choice. In my mind this will keep it simple and separate. What size T+E would I be looking at for this 1.0 or 1.5?
As you've been told, 1mm² T+E is adequate.

Since you want to run a second T+E, and IF your lighting circuit 'loops at the rose', then if you can get more than one conductor in some of the terminals in the rose, or if you're lucking and it is the last rose in the 'run' (hence some spare terminals), you could do something like ...
upload_2017-12-2_20-6-43.png

If there is a problem with getting conductors into terminals in the rose, then you could 'break into' the feed from the rose to the next one (or 'the one before' - doesn't matter), something like ...
upload_2017-12-2_20-8-10.png

There are all sorts of ways it could be done, but these should give you the idea. (note that, for clarity, I have not shown the 'earths' in those diagrams).

Kind Regards, John

John, thanks so much for taking the time to put that together. I had the top diagram in mind, but it is good to recieve confirmation that I was on the right lines and that there is also option 2 if space is tight in the rose terminals.

John, thanks so much for taking the time to put that together. I had the top diagram in mind, but it is good to recieve confirmation that I was on the right lines and that there is also option 2 if space is tight in the rose terminals.
You're welcome. Yes, the first option is the simplest, provided you can get the conductors into the rose terminals - which can be pretty small. It's certainly a reason for using 1.0mm² (rather than 1.5mm²) cable, since that increases your chances. Of course, you might be lucky and find that there are some 'empty' terminals that you can use.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back