under floor heating thermostat wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Just a quick question I have to wire up my thermostat for under floor heating.

Can I take the feed of a double socket in the attic?

the instructions say-
relay
resistive load - 230v-15a/3450 w
inductive load - cos = 0.3max 4a

I have one heating mat in the bathroom its a 100watt 0.5 metre x 4 metre.

thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
If the total load of the heating you are installing is only 100 watts, then you can feed it off a socket circuit, yes. Check the "socket in the loft" is not fed by a lighting circuit (not that it matters, its a pretty trivial load). It must have 3 amp fuse protection AND 30mA RCD protection somewhere along the line. And make sure the supplementary bonding is upgraded to include the circuit that you supply the UFH from.

This work is notifiable to your local council under part p of the building regs. It is illegal to do this work yourself and not notify. It will probably be cheaper and less hassle to ask an electrician to install and test it.

Do the instructions ask for the UFH to be protected via a 30mA RCD.Is the socket protected thus.You will also need a fused connection unit .

I seem to remember that BS7671 calls for all electric UFH systems to be RCD protected.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply guys!

It does no mention rcd protection?

THis is a new house so would the socket already be protected?

thanks

Mark

Chances are, yes, but it is worthwile just double checking, by pressing the test button on the front of the RCD and checking that the socket goes dead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back