Under unit power connection to dishwasher - Safe?

Thanks for all the advice...

Like I said before, I plan to do a whole kitchen and utility refit in the future, so I'm really just wanting to be sure it's not going to be unsafe as it is now. When I do the whole refit in a year or two I'll be starting from scratch so I can do everything in a perfect way...

As for the tiling, yeah it's ****e. The whole house has seem some pretty half-arsed diy. I'm reluctant to do too many little jobs here and there on the kitchen - I'd rather just wait until I redo the whole kitchen. I can re-wire, re-plumb and modernize the kitchen in one go.

Sponsored Links
If it were me I'd do exactly as you have done, keep the wet stuff as far away as you can (in the next unit) and plug the damn thing in. It's not ideal but to be honest I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

On a side note, all the appliances in my newly done kitchen have accessible switches to isolate them but I'm not at all convinced it's of that much practical benefit as it makes a lot of assumptions about the nature of any fault, the knowledge, mobility and height/reach of whoever discovers the fault. If the isolation switch is part of the safety system it damn well better work while I am on holiday or asleep - to be honest I'd rather a fault protection system that doesnt require user intervention was the aim.

If it's there merely for the convenience of operating the rest of my kitchen while the dishwasher has a fault or for the convenience of whoever comes to fix it then frankly, I'd rather be allowed to pass on it.

isolation switching is not for fault protection..
any faults should be sorted by the OCPD and / or the RCD protection.

the only faults that an above counter isolator might help you with is if the door breaks on your washing machine and it starts spilling water all over, or if the thing starts jumping all over the place from an unbalanced load..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back