Underfloor, condensing, thermal store and weather comp

Thermal stores, rightly, got a rotten reputation in this country due to poor specification and design..and in part being a way for a specifier to save a few pounds...with a correspondingly poor installation

we would do well do adopt a different vernacular, buffer tanks for uncontrolled heat sources.

Thermal stores do work with condensing boilers, but poorly. Thats in part because high temerature themal stores dont really exist out if the UK...

In energy efficiency terms what is the point of over heating water to bring down the temperature to usable temperature...much better to minimise wastage by specifying a product that designs out waste...ie unnecesarily high temperatures...

I registered here to tell people not to use thermal stores for UFH if no more than 10 to 12kW is needed for UFH by using a state of the art very low modulating boiler.

I found many just did not understand thermal stores. Some of the points that come up:

1. They develop sludge.
Some did as they were poorly designed and poorly specified as you stated. Having the CH off a coil in the thermal store cylinder eliminates sludge collection in the cylinder. As it has been mentioned the sludge is just relocated from the rads into the cylinder. A big inspection plate can be on the bottom of the cylinder to remove sludge, but best to have the CH coil to avoid it building up in the first place. Continental makers have domed bottoms so sludge cannot build up and stays in the rads if the system is neglected.

2. They run too hot so are inefficient.
Using an oversized DHW plate heat exchanger gives a lower store temperature and need only be 5 to 10C above the DHW setpoint temperature. If set to 50C then a store temperature of 55-60C will be fine. If a plate heat exchanger send hot water back to the thermal store it is not lost, the heat is still in the store.

3. Condensing boilers do not condense running inefficiently.
This is a fallacy. As Dan has testified, his condenses all the run time. The lack of any cycling greatly increases boiler efficiency.

Some makers refer to their thermal stores as "accumulators", which they are. They accumulate energy in the form of heat.

An advantage of a thermal store is that a smaller, cheaper, boiler sized for "average" use can be fitted. In house extensions a new boiler may not be needed if the existing cylinder is replaced by a thermal store and CH run from the store. In one extension job with an extra bathroom I did this, and fitted a TMV on the boiler return set to 55C to ensure no condensing in the non-condensing boiler. The boiler works more efficiently at lower temperatures and the customer came back and said he is paying no more in gas than he was before the extension.

Hybrid cars and trucks use the accumulator (think thermal store) idea. They use a large battery (accumulator) or hydraulic accumulator as in some trucks to store energy to use for acceleration and claw back braking energy. A largish car running down the motorway at 70mph only needs 20 to 30hp but the engine will be over 100hp and large, heavy, thirsty and expensive. The extra engine hp is for acceleration.

They downsize the engine to give greater efficiency (as you can downside a boiler heating a store) and use the stored energy to boost the acceleration in turning an assisting electric motor or hydraulic motor (think of a thermal store quickly heating up a house on start up with the stored heat). The stored energy in vehicles also evens out power delivery to the wheels (as does a thermal store in using a Smart pump on CH zones). Reclaimed braking energy is stored in the "accumulators" to reuse to propel the vehicle. In some setups, the Vauxhall Ampera come to mind, the charging engine runs at a constant highly efficient speed, or speed range, charging only the accumulator and not driving the wheels (think of a boiler heating only a thermal store with no cycling and No CH connected to it).

If designed and installed properly, thermal stores are the most efficient systems you can have. However, back to my first ever post here. Technical advances in the modulating ranges of boilers and their controls in cases (low temperature UFH) where a store was the ideal choice, that now need not be the case.

Glad to help.

Sponsored Links
If set to 50C then a store temperature of 55-60C will be fine

Depends on the size of the plate and the required flow rate. In my case - the flow rate I "demand" means a higher input temperature.

This is one of the missions I intended to play with. Theory is fine :rolleyes: experiences are everything.

If set to 50C then a store temperature of 55-60C will be fine

Depends on the size of the plate and the required flow rate. In my case - the flow rate I "demand" means a higher input temperature.

This is one of the missions I intended to play with. Theory is fine :rolleyes: experiences are everything.

Oversizing the plate heat exchanger by 50 to 100%, and the extra cost is not that great, can mean dropping the stored temperature substantially. It must be a minimum of 50% oversize. The more the better. I have oversized by 100%, I had a cheap plate to hand, and the store could operate at 5C above the required DHW temperature.

using the term "sludge bucket" to describe all TS shows a distinct lack of knowledge of thermal stores. Its obviously based on the likes of BM2s and BM2000s which indeed were sludge buckets due to their design.
Have a look at the design of a Boilermate BP however, and explain to me where the sludge comes from and where it ends up?

I know nothin after the BMII still miss taking them to the scrappy. ;)

DrDribble was enough to put you off them for life

Sponsored Links
I know nothin after the BMII still miss taking them to the scrappy. ;)

Yep they was a terrible design for sludge, and the BM2000 was even worse, here's one I stripped earlier :D

But as Dr Drivel points out having the heating off an extra coil eliminates this problem and also means the heating system can be its own seperate system, the boiler the same and the store as well so no systems are connected, if you wanted of course but not completely necessary

Have to say though, the situations where a TS is a better option are fairly limited, but they do have their uses

Wouldn't supplying the heat from an internal coil not make the CH response time from cold a lot slower?
Then a few years down the line and more sludge build up making it slower still.
If response time is a major issue, then you can just run the heating straight from the boiler via a 3 port. The only thing i dont like about this is it just turns the store into something just to produce hot water which makes you wonder whats the point.

Wouldn't supplying the heat from an internal coil not make the CH response time from cold a lot slower?

Not if the coil is sized properly.

I snipped the rest as it was full of tales of sludge in poorly designed and installed systems.

Then a few years down the line and more sludge build up making it slower still.

If response time is a major issue, then you can just run the heating straight from the boiler via a 3 port. The only thing i dont like about this is it just turns the store into something just to produce hot water which makes you wonder whats the point.

Running the CH from a 3-port valve will create boiler cycling, unless a Geminox is used that modulates from 0.9kW to 10kW, however a 10kW boiler will reheat a DHW only thermal store not too fast, starving the CH of heat while reheating, but that may not be a problem in most averaged sized homes. If the CH demand is less than 10 to 12kW then the Geminox is worth getting and connecting to a Boilermate BP. Using OpenTherm controls that modulate the burner, such as a room temperature sensor, would maximize the advantage of the low modulating boiler.

A simple, reliable, DHW only thermal store has many advantages, having the same performance as an unvented cylinder and no G3 needed is two.

The best is as mentioned, a dedicated CH coil inside the thermal store using a Smart pump for the CH. Then you are guaranteed that no sludge will occur inside the cylinder and heat delivery to the CH circuit can be only a few watts if need be with no adverse effects to the boiler.

EDIT:
Another point that is generally overlooked is the auto by-pass valves on CH circuits that are directly to the boiler. These valve are rarely set properly and tend to open far too early reducing boiler efficiency greatly. I know of one large estate where they rarely close as they were set up incorrectly. Condensate plumes from flues is a rare sight. Even if they are set properly the springs in the valves weaken over time and open far too early. Thermal Stores have no need for these valves that drop efficiency sharply. On thermal stores the heat generator, the boiler, is totally detached from the heat delivery side operating at maximum efficiency when running at all times.

In the old days cast-iron boilers did not require to be fully pumped. Two gravity circuits could be connected to the boiler. Modern Low water content fully pumped boilers prevent the use of gravity circuits.

Another advantage of a thermal store is that a modern low water capacity boiler can be converted into an old fashioned cast-iron type of boiler and have gravity circuits run off the thermal store cylinder. A boiler and thermal store in the basement can supply two gravity CH circuits on the floors above with the DHW provided by the thermal store itself. If a bath is drawn off, the gravity pumpless CH circuits automatically stop circulating as the temperature in the store is lower than the radiators.

A very simple and reliable CH & DHW system can be obtained this way using one pump for the whole system, which is used only when reheating the cylinder. This also reduces electricity usage and future maintenance costs. This is reverting back to the simple old days.

Is this Dr Drivel ?

I am still waiting to work out or hear an explanation as to why my friend has a 500 li thermal store on the boiler output to feed his swimming pool!

Is this Dr Drivel ?

I am still waiting to work out or hear an explanation as to why my friend has a 500 li thermal store on the boiler output to feed his swimming pool!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back