Underground cable - yes or no before purchase?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i askeda while back on here regarding providing power to my workshop.

plan is to run cable from the house, 12m cable required to the workshop at the rear of the garden,,,

workshop will have cu inside with 2 ccts.

1x strip light cct (6 lights)
1x socket cct. (8 sockets)

nothing heavy running off them,, all tooling is stuff that can be plugged into the house, mini mig welder, pillar drill, bench grinder, air compressor.

could you guys please see link below and tell me if this is ok before i purchase it and bury it.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SW10slash3.html

thx guys....

Sponsored Links
Cable size is OK, consumer unit needs to be a metal clad one ideally.

I would be looking for RCD protection in the consumer unit too - not sure on your other post, perhaps the RCD is elsewhere?

The cable's great. Perfect choice.

For the distance spec'd you can run it from a 50 amp breaker at the house.

Now, the CU you spec'd is wrong. 1. ITS CRAP and 2. it has no RCD protection.

I wouldnt recommend you use any RCD in the house. Always keep the supply cable off an RCD - it doesnt need it if armoured.

Buy a 4-way CU with a mainswitch - I used one of these - or you might want to use metaclad so you can terminate the SWA a bit easier.

Use an RCBO (RCD+MCB in one) for the socket circuit (further down that page) and an MCB for the lighting. The lights dont need to be RCD protected if all their cables are in trunking or conduit or left exposed.

Dont forget you need 2 or 3 blanks whichever route you choose.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't you be better off asking your electrician?

Or have you abandoned the idea of ending up with a Building Regulations certificate?

Maybe he's applied to LABC to do the work him self?

What is with your bad attitude just recently anyway?

That cable's perfect mate. As others have said, get a better CU, and use an RCBO for your sockets.

Good luck with this project, I hope it goes well. Sorry for the pointless nonsense spouted by Banal, he forgets that the forum is for helping people with electrics, and not for making up for his, ahem, inadequacies.

That's not true, and I do not want this to turn into another have a go at BAS thread.

As all ot the regular posters on here know BAS makes many many helpful, civilised and informative posts.

I've been away for a week, and it just seems that he is slipping into bad habits again. That was all.

Seriously, all this crap flying back and forth between half this forum and ban-all-sheds is just plain childish. Give it a rest.

Maybe he's applied to LABC to do the work him self?

What is with your bad attitude just recently anyway?

i askeda while back on here regarding providing power to my workshop.
And in the topic to which he referred he said
will get it inspected and signed off after, i just dont know standard practice and legalities with regards housing.

Now - if he has abandoned that plan, fair enough, nobody here gives a toss whether he notifies or not, but if he hasn't then any more forging ahead with design and installation not under the supervision and direction of his electrician is a bad idea.

Hence my question, that was all, but almost inevitably some of the children here decided it justified more of their tedious and irrational mewling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back