undersized joists in old house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just pulled down the cielining in my front room (3 layers of plaster board) as part of a room renovation. I plan to remove all the old electrical cables, secure the heating pipes etc. its an old house and the floor above has always been a bit bouncy. Looking at the 'joists' used they are laughably small. 3x3" and notched to sit on the beams. Its 200 years old is the house so perhaps thats just how they did it, used what they had.

Can anyone suggest a way to sure up the ceiling without coming too far down? the ceiling is quite low as it is.

Attachments

• IMG_1123.jpeg
    IMG_1123.jpeg
    458.6 KB · Views: 112
Sponsored Links
If it were me, i would sister other joists onto existing

If it were me, i would sister other joists onto existing

Could you go into a bit more detail with this? I'm not sure what you mean

What width apart are the joists?

Sistering is where you leave the current joists where they are and put another one to the side of the original, screwed/bolted together.

Are you planning on increasing the weight/load on the floor of the room above? If not perhaps just leave it alone, unless there is an issue.

My old bathroom floor had what looked like 2x3 as joists and should have been much larger... decided as it had always been like that, that I'd leave it alone.

Sponsored Links
Could you go into a bit more detail with this? I'm not sure what you mean

Bolt new joists directly to the existing ones, thus strengthening the structure and making it more rigid.

Its 200 years old is the house so perhaps thats just how they did it, used what they had.
200 years ago the timber used in most buildings was slow grown and thus much better quality than the rapid grown poor quality timber used in so many recently built houses,

I cannot see the entire ceiling, but could you not run 2 more beams horizontally, effectively halving the 3x3 span?

That'd increase the loaf capacity and prevent bounce.

I cannot see the entire ceiling, but could you not run 2 more beams horizontally, effectively halving the 3x3 span?

Another good point

It's possible that the bounce is coming from the main beam(s) running acrossways. Consider beefing them up first before doing anything with the 3x3 joists.

It's possible that the bounce is coming from the main beam(s) running acrossways. Consider beefing them up first before doing anything with the 3x3 joists.

Even one extra beam inbetween existing ones would be a massive improvement.

What width apart are the joists?

Sistering is where you leave the current joists where they are and put another one to the side of the original, screwed/bolted together.

Are you planning on increasing the weight/load on the floor of the room above? If not perhaps just leave it alone, unless there is an issue.

My old bathroom floor had what looked like 2x3 as joists and should have been much larger... decided as it had always been like that, that I'd leave it alone.
No problems, other than its a bit bouncy. no additional load either. Just while its down and didn't look right, I thought if make it right before replasterboarding. Because the joists are notched to sit on the big beams I thought theres even less holding them. If I sister them as suggested, what size would you use? a normal size joist would sit too low for the ceiling. Would you also include joist hangers?

yes but not equally as in the centre of the room between the two existing beams is a fireplace so couldn't effectible get a beam in without fouling the chimney flue

Here's a look to the other side. and also how the joists are notched.

Attachments

• IMG_1099.jpeg
    IMG_1099.jpeg
    450.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot 2022-09-02 at 15.27.30.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-02 at 15.27.30.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 74

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back