Understairs cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I'm after some advice and pointers for what to do for the small job I need to do soon. I have just had my lounge replastered and decorated, but there is a small understairs cupboard that I now need to finish. The cupboard has 3 wall as you'd expect, 2 are brick and one is a stud wall that is between the cupboard and the lounge. This stud wall was rebuilt by me before the lounge was done and the lounge side was boarded and plastered during the decorating. Never got round the boarding the cupboard side but I need to now.

The top edge of the wall is sloping as it follows the line of the stairs above. I need to board it and will cut the board in 2 sections that will butt up next to each other. I don't want to get a plasterer in to skim what is effectively a small non visible area, but I want it to look OK at the same time. I have board left over from boarding before but it is not taper edge. Therefore where the boards butt up, it will need to be filled and prepped ready for me to paint the whole wall. Is there a recommended way to do this when the boards are not tapered?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't want to get a plasterer in to skim what is effectively a small non visible area, but I want it to look OK at the same time. I have board left over from boarding before but it is not taper edge. Therefore where the boards butt up, it will need to be filled and prepped ready for me to paint the whole wall. Is there a recommended way to do this when the boards are not tapered?

The best end result would be of course to skim, but if you're not getting someone in, then you're looking something DIY (but with a decent chance of a reasonable result).

Even though the boards are square edge, you should be able to get an adequate result from use of scrim tape and careful use of easifill just over the joins and dry wall screw holes etc. you can sand and feather out a strip of easifill about 5-10cm wide.
It will be slightly proud over the joins, but in a cupboard hopefully not that noticeable. Easifill has the advantage you can sand it once set, whereas you shouldn't do this with finish plasters.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks, I suppose if its proud and I feather the edges, then under the stairs it will not look too bad. The other walls in that cupboard look terrible anyway. Thanks, I will go down the tape and easifill router

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back