Understanding utility charges and smart meters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is not a DIY question, but wondering if anyone can shed some light on my question.

I have a smart meter. My Electric and Gas standing charges are 55p and 30p (approx)

Every morning when I get up, my smart meter is showing around £1.10

I am wondering from Midnight to morning should only be showing around 0.90p (mainly standing charges) because I am not really using any utilities during night time.

Any suggestion why Smart meter is showing high usage?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Presumably you have a fridge/freezer running overnight?

And the smart meter display uses a tiny amount.

We use about 2 kw from midnight until about 7.30 with nobody using anything

It’s to be expected

Sponsored Links
Is this smart meter for electricity?

What's the house base load? (How many kilowatts does the meter show being used on your way to bed?) Multiply that by your unit rate, and the number of hours between midnight and morning, add on the standing charge - that should give you an estimate of what the figure should be.

Mind you, whilst the meter will accurately show how much electriciy is being used, I've never known one to show an accurate figure for cost...

These are great suggestions. Thanks.
I did think of Fridge , but didn't think it should cost that much alone.
But I never thought of routers and other appliance that could be using electricity.
I will keep an eye on the KW used from midnight to morning.
thanks

To ascertain my base load, all I need do is......

On my suppliers website, set it up for reporting consumption every 30 minutes, then check my usage graph, for the lowest wattage 30 minute period of the day, or days. That minimum will represent my basic load, where fridge/freezer, freezer all lights, TV's and etc., are off, just the basics left running, which are always on - such as routers, cameras, smart-plugs, and items in standby like TV's. 30w is as low as it goes, and usually during the night, or when no one is home. Often as not, the higher demand during those times, is the fridge/freezers starting..

These are great suggestions. Thanks.
I did think of Fridge , but didn't think it should cost that much alone.
But I never thought of routers and other appliance that could be using electricity.
I will keep an eye on the KW used from midnight to morning.
thanks
You may want to see how many kW the house uses with only base load switched on (for example just as you go to bed), and then check how many kWh have been used midnight till morning

I personally would include fridges and freezers in base load...

I would not, because basically - there is nowt much you can do about those, they have to be on. If I were so minded, I could cut my version of my base load to zero, were I concerned about the 30p per Kwh/ 0.030, or 21p per day it costs me.

I have just checked my energy log, and fridge/freezer, plus freezer are averaging around 2.0Kwh per day, so my base load, whilst not helping, is of no great concern.

Last edited:
I would not, because basically - there is nowt much you can do about those, they have to be on. If I were so minded, I could cut my version of my base load to zero, were I concerned about the 30pper Kwh/ 0.030, or 21p per day it costs me.
Yes, though you can buy a new fridge or freezer and thereby reduce your base load...

i though the standing charge was added at the bill stage and not the meter ??

or is it prepayment ??

i though the standing charge was added at the bill stage and not the meter ??

or is it prepayment ??

If that was aimed at me, no I'm on credit. I pay a monthly direct debit, tweaked so as to even the dd payment to be the same winter and summer.

If that was aimed at me, no I'm on credit. I pay a monthly direct debit, tweaked so as to even the dd payment to be the same winter and summer.
its more for hasan ali
me
"i though the standing charge was added at the bill stage and not the meter ??"

or is it prepayment ??
"I have a smart meter. My Electric and Gas standing charges are 55p and 30p (approx)

Every morning when I get up, my smart meter is showing around £1.10

I am wondering from Midnight to morning should only be showing around 0.90p (mainly standing charges) because I am not really using any utilities during night time."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back