"Unemployment rate likely to reach 3M"

I

imamartian

.. isn't this much more likely since our doors were opened much wider to poorer Europeans? :confused:

Sponsored Links
you mean we're possibly returning to levels of unemployment near those achieved by that awful Thatcher woman?

Or is this just another pointless anti-foreigner dig?

Could you be referring to Baroness Thatcher, indisputably the greatest British prime minister of the post-war era?

Didn't a tiny part of the blame belong to outdated, uncompetitive industry which had failed to adapt to changing times and had to undergo a painful period of readjustment?

The incompetent Brown will rack up much higher unemployment figures than we've thus far seen, even after all the massaging of the books that Mandelson and his cronies attempt.

with respect, both of you have just pulled on the old stereotypical jacket that this country will eventually suffocate itself with.

The point i'm making is that the dynamics of this country have changed...and a figure of 3M jobless, today... when there is a massive influx of jobhunters from Europe... is not perhaps in the same vein as 3M jobless in Maggies era....

... so no, not pointless, or anti foreigner. But about understanding change.... for example, is the 70mph motorway speed limit still valid condsidering current brake technology and crumple zone/airbag stuff? and have we still got the best army in the world? or the best football division? etc etc

Sponsored Links
Many of the European visitors in the labour market are highly mobile, and will go where the work is, or back to their homes if they can find work there (as many Poles have done).

I'm not sure that they've added to British unemployment in the past, because probably in the main they've been doing jobs that British people have been unwilling to do, or filling a skills shortage. Though of course, some have provided competition for builders and plumbers.

Nor is it likely that they'll increase our unemployment in the future, if they move elsewhere. It may be some will prefer to stay here for better benefit entitlement, if they can get it and can't get work elsewhere. But the recession won't treat them kindly, or any of us.

It is unfortunate that the country doesn't have a very diverse economy anymore. A huge proportion of the jobs that have been created under new labour have been in the public sector. Unfortunately these are not wealth creating jobs, but wealth spreading jobs. Manufacturing / heavy industry has been purposely wound down, as we are unable to compete in the mass market, this has allowed only value add and niche suppliers to survive. Agriculture has been wound down as again, we have previously been unable to compete on price, as the consumer demands to pay as little as possible for their groceries.

In the technology arena, the country is unwilling to pay scientists or engineers anything like competitive salaries, in IT a large number of jobs have been offshored to places such as India, Mexico, Singapore as it is seen to be cheaper (never mind the quality, feel the width)

Sadly our country has modelled itself as predominantly a service supplier. A risky strategy for a country that makes little, can't feed itself, and can't meet its energy needs.

And what makes you think the true figure is not over that already
When maggie was in power the labour party constantly accused them of fiddling the figures by having people on invalidity removed from them/people over a certain age/under a certain age etc etc.
We have now had 11 years of labour rule and have the rescinded any of those fiddles ,NOPE i wonder why

Could you be referring to Baroness Thatcher, indisputably the greatest British prime minister of the post-war era?

The anti-christ, I've been self employed most of my working life and hate that bitch with a passion.

She claimed "we don't need manufacturing, we have the city" :rolleyes: I hate that fecker Scargil and his dickhead mates too for giving her the ammunition to destroy much of our manufacturing base.

Whole communities were left without work, are now without the will to work.

We have nothing left to sell how are we going to get out of the mess we're in. :evil:

"there is no such thing as society"

"sailing towards the Falklands"

and even managed to turn the parable of the Good Samaritan on its head.

My line on thatcher is this, she broke the unions, which needed to be done, but by god she went about it in the wrong way.

Her legacy, should be one of complete treachory to this country. I for one will not mourn her passing.

So johnD you would have rather it had killed some of our guys first before it was sailing away. It was feking war and a strange thing happens during them .people get killed.

you are reading words that I did not write.

I merely commented on a Prime Minister saying things that were blatantly untrue and then getting stroppy when challenged on her lies.

"Black is White, North is South, Inside is Outside, Towards is Away"

Ok but the usual anti maggie feeling is she should not have ordered it.
Do you think she was right to order the sinking ?

Sponsored Links
Back