Uneven joints in brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I being over fussy?

Having an extension built by local builder. Horizontal mortar joints between brickwork are not consistent some gaps between courses measure 8mm, all the way along the wall and others 15mm. Is it unreasonable to ask the builder to knock down and start again?

Sponsored Links
its not unreasonable if theres a 7mm difference, what type of bricks is he using? how high up has he gone? Is the brickwork the finish or is it being rendered?

Rough pattern red facing bricks with recessed mortar joints. Wall is approx six feet high with two feet to go to top. (Flat roof) Problem is that the larger joints are at eye level and very noticeable.

i would point it out now (no pun intended) and see what he says, maybe hes stretching the bricks he bought :LOL: If your not happy now its not gonna change, also you get what you pay for sometimes or you employ a bad un. See what he says and get back to us :LOL:

Sponsored Links
He`s doing Christmas joints ...........because you always have a big joint @ Christmas :LOL: :LOL: .......Bit early tho`.....maybe late Easter ones. Did he use profiles @ the end of each course run..........He`s miscalculated the final height and is making up vertical distance :rolleyes: I know and I`m a plumber with no useful paper qualifications :LOL: Get a Polish Brickie .they know what they`re doing.....OR to be fair , he may be matching the brickwork on the original house if it`s a 60`s spec. built job ...they only used to line every 4 courses or so :rolleyes: That`s how they all got rich.....1000 a day.bricks that is ;)

eltommys said:
Am I being over fussy?

Having an extension built by local builder. Horizontal mortar joints between brickwork are not consistent some gaps between courses measure 8mm, all the way along the wall and others 15mm. Is it unreasonable to ask the builder to knock down and start again?

What do your plans say? The architect drew the courses on my extension plans using the DPC as a base line. Is the builder using the existing brickwork as a gauge for the new, how do they compare?

When employing a builder it's natural to assume they'll do a neat and tidy job. But some 'clever cowboys' try it on and remind you there was nothing in the spec about a "neat & tidy" job, (ask my friend)!

Finally, He should have used a "Bricky tool" :LOL:

carryoncamping said:
Finally, He should have used a "Bricky tool" :LOL:

NOOO not the bricky tool! lol.
15 mm is a BIG bed and that would normally come down on a new build.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back