Uneven wood, wonky boxes?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently started working with reclaimed wood (pallets mostly) and I'm trying to build a straight forward box.

I'm having issues getting the ends lined up, leading to a straight edge, even box with now wobble or twist..the wood doesn't really have a straight edge to follow, making it difficult to like the edge of the wood with the baton I'm pinning it to

Has anyone got any tips on how I make sure the box is even on all ends, leading to something that sits straight please!?

Sponsored Links
unfortunately if the wood insnt strait there is no magic cure
you can try building your structure to fit the shape off the wood but off course this wont be square

if you can select the best bits for the long sections then you may minimize the problem on the short runs
other options is cutting out the bad bits and having joins say 1/3 and 2/3 on batons along the length

Sponsored Links
unfortunately if the wood insnt strait there is no magic cure
you can try building your structure to fit the shape off the wood but off course this wont be square

if you can select the best bits for the long sections then you may minimize the problem on the short runs
other options is cutting out the bad bits and having joins say 1/3 and 2/3 on batons along the length

Thank you, a little more of a productive response :). The wood is generally ok, it's not warped, however, I'm not sure how to get the box completely even so that it doesn't wobble. I'd assume you'd normally measure and place batons the same distance from the ends? The length of the wood seems to be straight enough but the ends aren't. I'm finding that if I measure and place from the ends, I get different a slightly uneven baton

It's not put by much it just means my batons aren't parallel?

Not too sure what you are trying to achieve here....maybe a square (cube) planter, maybe?
Consider joining the lengths of timber together with a couple of battens inside....if you make the lengths slightly on the long side then they can be cut to length as one piece, if you catch my drift.
You'll ideally need a large try square to check the edges and faces, but one sure way is to check the diagonal distances from corner to corner - if the measurement is the same then the timber is square.
You are giving yourself a bit of a task using pallets - but there sure will be that rustic look! With such material, you can't expect perfection.
John :)

Not too sure what you are trying to achieve here....maybe a square (cube) planter, maybe?
Consider joining the lengths of timber together with a couple of battens inside....if you make the lengths slightly on the long side then they can be cut to length as one piece, if you catch my drift.
You'll ideally need a large try square to check the edges and faces, but one sure way is to check the diagonal distances from corner to corner - if the measurement is the same then the timber is square.
You are giving yourself a bit of a task using pallets - but there sure will be that rustic look! With such material, you can't expect perfection.

Your advice was spot on John, thank you. I'm not looking for perfect end results, just something that doesn't wobble and is equally spaced. I wasn't sure how to make sure edges and faces but the diagonal checking is exactly what I need to do, simple but couldn't get my head around a sure fire way to get it even..thanks again!

One last question, I've tried a mitre saw, table saw and a mini circular saw, all on aid of having one to do all I need, cutting wise. The mitre saw was perfect for quick, flush cuts but no good for cutting down bigger items or ripping wood for batons. The mini circular was perfect, but not for a perfect cut / flush pieces. The table saw I bought was a cheap table top and didnt compare to either, on power..what's the best piece of kit to try and incorporate the tasks I need doing? Most importantly are batons and flush pieces?

Seriously, I'd pop down to Homebase or somewhere and buy yourself a decent hand crosscut saw, and maybe a rip saw too - say around the 22" mark. These are perfect for doing accurate cuts, and building up the skills too.
Your power tools are fine for what they are....chop saw great for short thicknesses, circular hand saw great for rough cuts using the fence, and the table saw for length ripping - but at times the good 'ole hand saw is the best.
These saws will last well on timber like yours, but they do lose their edge when used on ply or mdf due to the adhesive content. So many people persevere with blunt gear these days!
Good luck with your project - we'd appreciate a photo at the end of the day.

For pallet timber I denail, run it over a planers to get it fairly smooth and square then thru table saw to get all dimension even.The chop up with a chop saw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back