I made a wooden box!

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How does one make a wooden box?

DOH! Easy and simple.
Get 6 pieces. Make opposite pieces the same size.
Get a couple of screws and screw.
5 minute job.

My experience:

Not a 5 minute job.
I got the remains of an Ikea wardrobe and made myself a wooden box.
6 pieces cut out. Opposite sides same dimension.

First problem: you can't cut straight lines with a jigsaw.
(I know I know... I need a circular saw for cutting precise!)

Second problem: sides too long or too short after screwing!!
I didn't realise, but I need to add to the measurements the thickness of the wood!
DOH! I haven't seen this mentioned ANYWHERE in all the youtube videos I watched.

Third problem: drilling into chipboard and using normal screws... hmm... well... despite having (tiny) pilot holes, the wood just expands where I screwed!

i made my box in the end ANYWAY!
and i was proud of it - despite being wonky, it's pretty sturdy.

See below for masterpiece:

ehIl4B.jpg

if anyone wants to hire my skills, i'm free at weekends and charge £1000 a day.

seriously: are there blueprint plans for making boxes and dimensions needed for all pieces anywhere? i would do a better job next time if i made the box again, but think some plans would be a better place to start.

Sponsored Links
it gets far more complicated :LOL:
you need to allow for blade thickness in your calculations :rolleyes:
in general no6 screw 3.2/3.5mm pilot hole no8 4mm pilot hole
chipboard screws turbogold or other with cutting points and rifles on the thread work well
i automatically add/subtract 21.5/43mm for 2x1"planed or 43/87mm
you will notice 2x43 is 86 but because the timber i use is about 43.3mm you make allowances :LOL:

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
it gets far more complicated :LOL:
you need to allow for blade thickness in your calculations :rolleyes:
in general no6 screw 3.2/3.5mm pilot hole no8 4mm pilot hole
chipboard screws turbogold or other with cutting points and rifles on the thread work well
i automatically add/subtract 21.5/43mm for 2x1"planed or 43/87mm
you will notice 2x43 is 86 but because the timber i use is about 43.3mm you make allowances :LOL:
Erm too much information
I don't understand any of the just mentioned!

Sponsored Links
Erm too much information
I don't understand any of the just mentioned!

thats the point :D
you need to learn every aspect for example you need 4x2ft x4ft[610mmx1220mm] panels easy??-------

------------well yes and no
you will get one panel exactly 2x4ft another panel 2ft wide but about 3mm short
you will also get another panel 2ft wide but 3mm undersize in width 4ft long and a final panel 3mm short and narrow
so four different sizes on one board
in other words allow for the cut off the blade more so iff multiple cuts along a length:D

Don't worry Al, I understand what you're babbling on about :D:ROFLMAO:o_O

Still being relatively new to a lot of woodworking and DIY in general, I can empathise with your struggles.

First problem: you can't cut straight lines with a jigsaw.
If you have a straight edge eg a wooden baton, you can clamp this and use it to guide the jigsaw. I tried using a jigsaw freehand. Didn't think it would be hard to follow a line. It was incredibly difficult to keep straight.

Second problem: sides too long or too short after screwing!!
I didn't realise, but I need to add to the measurements the thickness of the wood!
Drawing a sketch on paper can make it easier to work this out. It won't prevent every single problem but it'll give you an idea of what things you might need to consider. It's also incredibly useful at reminding you what each part should look like and measure. Even if you have an awesome memory.

Third problem: drilling into chipboard and using normal screws... hmm... well... despite having (tiny) pilot holes, the wood just expands where I screwed!
Look at other solutions eg dowel joints.

Youtube can be helpful in working out how to do things but often it's "ideal" or "perfect world" conditions and you need to learn to adapt to problems as and when they arise. Look at investing in tools to make your life easier. A couple of clamps and a straight edge might be all you need for straight cuts instead of plumping for a circular saw that you might use once in a blue moon.

strait edges and jigsaws seldom works
most jigsaw blades are a tiny bit off square to the base so whilst the base will follow the strait line the blade will progressively wander off to the side often in a ever tightening curve

strait edges and jigsaws seldom works
most jigsaw blades are a tiny bit off square to the base so whilst the base will follow the strait line the blade will progressively wander off to the side often in a ever tightening curve
That's frustrating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back