unknown circuits in CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
next month I am doing some alterations to the MILs electrics, they are having building work done which is being notified, and this is coming under that.

existing: Lighting
Ring Final
Cooker
Immersion

basics are:
add shower and circuit back to C/U
upgrade existing protection to RCBO for ring final.

was down there at the weekend, so had a look to see what I would need, and found on the ring final another circuit connected via 4mm T&E.

did some investigating, and could not find what it was for, would it be acceptable to insulate this, and leave marked as an unknown circuit in the C/U? i'm reluctant to cut it back/drag it out as far as poss incase we find what it was in 6 months time.

if not acceptable to leave in the C/U it could be pulled back up into the roof void and left suitably insulated/marked.

Sponsored Links
Yes, there's nothing wrong with disconnecting and isolating it but leaving in the CU enclosure, as long as it's secure and isn't going to make contact with any live parts.

Yes, best to keep them and terminate ito earth.

In a few days they may say, "hey the socket in the greenhouse doesn't work". And then you'll know what that 4mm is for.

Sponsored Links
cheers, what I thought anyway, they test open circuit, but that doesnt mean much really, could be a switched off light/socket with nothing in it.

tied to earth it is...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back