Unlawful dwelling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Item from the Heil about a Birmingham man who got planning permission for a detached garage, but built it as a tiny two-storey dwelling instead.
Of particular interest are the originally-submitted plans - could have been drawn by a five-year old.

Sponsored Links
So where were BC when this was being built? I've always been under the impression they came out at various stages to check the work before allowing further work to continue. E.G. Excavations for footings then check the sizes of the foundations once they had been poured. These inspections were then followed by further inspections of various works.

My detached garage needed neither planning or BC.
At least one home down the street from me has a suspicious looking building at the bottom of the garden.
Double glazed , soil stack and boiler flue give it away .

So where were BC when this was being built? I've always been under the impression they came out at various stages to check the work before allowing further work to continue. E.G. Excavations for footings then check the sizes of the foundations once they had been poured. These inspections were then followed by further inspections of various works.
He will either have use approved private inspectors, or more likely none at all.

Sponsored Links
There are more and more people taking this chance and building obvious contraventions on the front and side. I wonder if its worth the risk that you don't get copped for a few years and then it's hunky dory.

My detached garage needed neither planning or BC.
At least one home down the street from me has a suspicious looking building at the bottom of the garden.
Double glazed , soil stack and boiler flue give it away .

Had something similar when I lived in Liverpool. End semi-detached built a brick garage with rollover door, sloped driveway etc.
12 months later a side window suddenly appears. This was followed by a vaulted roof and the excuse it was going to be used as a playroom for the kids. Then the rollover door disappeared to be replaced by a double glazed front door with side window. The driveway was replaced by a single width footpath and it's own gate to the public pavement, separate from the main house footpath/gate.
Definitely a 'Granny Annexe' but no one ever found planning applications submitted. I moved away from Liverpool about 10 years ago but I understand it is still standing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back