Does your new dwelling size ever become your existing dwelli

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me the answer to my query.

In 2006 a house was approved permissions to increase the original dwelling by 80%. The increase was built. Then three years ago plans were submitted for a side single story conservatory- the plans would increase the size to 105% of the original dwelling. The plans were knocked back by the council, reason being as it pasted the 50% original dwelling size.
Questions:

A) it is worth resubmitting a smaller extension? On the face on it it doesn't I feel.

B) is there a period of time where the plans approved & built in 2006 will become the new dwelling size of the house ie - superseding the original dwelling? So therefore after this period of time the conservatory would be approved as it would not full under the 50% guild lines? (If the other rules & regs were met).

If two above query answers are no, does it appear the only option is to built a conservatory on the back on the house?

Many many thanks for any advice received.

Sponsored Links
The volume of the house will always be the original volume (or the volume as it existed in 1948 if built before then).
A time limit as you suggest would not apply.
You might be able to build something on the back under permitted development
in which case the volume restriction would not apply,even though you have already gone over their 50% policy limit.

Sponsored Links
If two above query answers are no, does it appear the only option is to built a conservatory on the back on the house?
Not necessarily.

Knocking it down and building a new house is another option, although the planners might still stop you having the size which you want.

Or you might be allowed a basement.

@tony1851 Thanks. Question (or anyone) what is the maximum size for a conservatory at the back of you house without having to get planning permission? Thanks

Also will this no planning permission rule apply to this case as it has already received planning permission since the original dwelling? Thanks in advance

You can normally extend 3m on the rear (4m if detached) or up to 6m (8m) if you use the prior notification scheme and no adjoining owner objects.

The previous extension bullt with p.p. is irrelevant as long as it is physically separate from the (proposed) rear extension.

Surely previous extensions must be relevant? Otherwise people could just keep on adding 3/4m (temporarily 6/8m) extensions until they run out of garden?

Surely previous extensions must be relevant? Otherwise people could just keep on adding 3/4m (temporarily 6/8m) extensions until they run out of garden?

Yes, previous extensions are relevant and you cannot keep adding.

However, I was assuming that no previous addition had been made to the rear wall. If it has already been extended to the rear, then the length of that extension woud be taken into account.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back