Unprecedented pandemic Boris adapts policy to increased threat

The bigger problem comes when the whole supply chain is affected because the warehouse operators and lorry drivers can no longer work.
The people in the shops are most likely to suffer first - less isolation from others.

Sponsored Links
Charlie Bean, a former deputy governor of the Bank of England who sits on the government’s budget responsibility committee and is also appearing before the Treasury committee, says:

“It’s better to end up spending a little too much here than not doing enough.”

“If you damage the economy, you damage the public finances further down the road. All the evidence we have from whether it’s the financial crisis or things like this, is that big early action is better than half-hearted action delayed.”

Where is the "we have no money" brigade?

Now if the Government does do direct payments then you supporters of Austerity should not accept it.

If you damage the economy, you damage the public finances further down the road. All the evidence we have from whether it’s the financial crisis or things like this, is that big early action is better than half-hearted action delayed.”

That's the aspect that bugs me. Economy bound to crash and very obvious evidence that extreme measures are needed to contain it. Early effective action is the only way to limit the damage.

That's the aspect that bugs me. Economy bound to crash and very obvious evidence that extreme measures are needed to contain it. Early effective action is the only way to limit the damage.

A stitch in time saves nine..

Sponsored Links
yeah, things can snowball quickly.
only takes a few businesses to close, more welfare support, more debt, less spending, more businesses go under ... repeat ....

yeah, things can snowball quickly.
only takes a few businesses to close, more welfare support, more debt, less spending, more businesses go under ... repeat ....

Rishi is working on a way to insulate banks and take their debt. A nice time to offload bad debt...

Anyone remember when interest rates went up a while ago circa Mrs T's time. Some months before I was talking to a lady that worked at the head office of a big bank. She told me that interest rates would be going up as all banks had lost loads in S America. She was right they rocketed. Mortgage payments kept going up and up. At other times landlords have been crying when this happens. Leaves me wondering if another dose would be good for the people who live here rather than the rather flawed economy that we have.

Back to thread title

It's pretty obvious what the UK's clever policy is. A model which really is dubious and keeping an eye on hospital cases to guestimate how things are going in the real world. There is probably some NICE style thinking as well. If the system gets overloaded and they can't do anything else more of the latter will come in. That style of problem may be why Italy's death rate is higher. :( Who's worth saving in other words.

Thought I had better add an edit to that. Initial testing gave a LOT of negatives. Some of those may be down to people trying to make sure they haven't got / have had colds before so wonder if this one is different. The other problem - just how many can they do.

Last edited:
Back to thread title

It's pretty obvious what the UK's clever policy is. A model which really is dubious and keeping an eye on hospital cases to guestimate how things are going in the real world. There is probably some NICE style thinking as well. If the system gets overloaded and they can't do anything else more of the latter will come in. That style of problem may be why Italy's death rate is higher. :( Who's worth saving in other words.

Thought I had better add an edit to that. Initial testing gave a LOT of negatives. Some of those may be down to people trying to make sure they haven't got / have had colds before so wonder if this one is different. The other problem - just how many can they do.
Negative results are still useful. Having a high proportion of your tests come back positive means you're not testing enough people.

Negative results are still useful. Having a high proportion of your tests come back positive means you're not testing enough people.

True but then comes just how many can be done. That's why I added an edit - what else could they have done? Personally I think Singapore's web based register of people in isolation would have been a much better option than what they have actually done. It seems that as Singapore has been here before they did this pretty well immediately. Only thing is though their people have been here before as well.

True but then comes just how many can be done. That's why I added an edit - what else could they have done? Personally I think Singapore's web based register of people in isolation would have been a much better option than what they have actually done. It seems that as Singapore has been here before they did this pretty well immediately. Only thing is though their people have been here before as well.

I am finding your posts difficult to understand, and any good points you are trying to make are at risk of being lost.

Sponsored Links
Back