Unserviceable boiler installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just discovered that my newish boiler ( one year old) has been installed in such a way as to make it unserviceable. We asked the company that installed it to give it its annual service, which is required to fulfil the warranty. The engineer came in, took one look at it and said he couldn’t service it because of the way it had been installed. The screws to remove the panel are inaccessible apparently. The boiler is sitting on a shelf in a kitchen cupboard. We have an issue with the boiler not heating the water to a decent temperature and need it repaired. Is this allowed that a registered company can install a boiler that can’t be serviced? Do I have any redress? I have spent three months trying to contact the company but they will not respond to my calls. I don’t think another company will be keen to sort this out.

Sponsored Links
image.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes the cupboard was already there and housed the old boiler ( which was accessed from the front). Yes I realise that the shelf will need some work on it to sort this out. I am just confused why if access is needed from below it was installed the way it was. Is this allowed when fitting new boilers?

Yes the cupboard was already there and housed the old boiler ( which was accessed from the front). Yes I realise that the shelf will need some work on it to sort this out. I am just confused why if access is needed from below it was installed the way it was. Is this allowed when fitting new boilers?

The boiler manufacturers manual will state how much space is needed above, below and round the sides, for installation and to allow servicing.So I would expect you do have a case for them to install the boiler to spec., if you can stand the mess involved, however....

Mine is in a cupboard and meets the manufacturers specification, but additionally I made the cupboard removable, so if necessary it was quickly removable for full access.

I think the answer is in your OP.

The cowboys who fitted it are cowboys.

Cut your losses and get someone who gives a **** in to service it under the OEM warranty.

Good point Harry and Blueloo, think I will try and persuade the company to do the job correctly. Thank folk for all the advice.

Tell the installing company to get it sorted or you are going to request a gas safe inspection visit, Gas safe can force them to sort it at no charge to you

If they won't answer the phone, try a very short letter.

As per Bermerd, if the screws were accessible on installation, they must be accessible now!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back