Unsolicited telephone calls

I've got one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/CPR-Number-...8&qid=1450244968&sr=8-2&keywords=call+blocker it blocks pretty much anything you want and is easy enough to set up, although it did require me having to change the adsl filters on all the phones in the house annoyingly, as there was a buzz (interference on the line) to being with.

This is also good as it means utility and service providers cannot contact me without a traceable number, if they can't reach me there is no excuse not to use e-mail, AH, but of course these companies will often shy away from doing that as it means providing a point of reference and there's a history (in black and white) of the dialogue taking place. This works wonders when the broadband service you requested to be cancelled isn't cancelled, and you can forward on an e-mail you sent to customer services 2 months prior stating you wanted the service cancelled. There is no denying then what was said and when, it's in black and white.

Sadly, they use unknown numbers as they expect the majority of people NOT to record telephone conversations and store them for any length of time, so if you issue instruction to some **** wit on the phone who does nothing about it, you have to play he said she said with someone proclaiming to be 'the office manager', for all you know it's someones mate, or it's them. Of course big companies would argue that they use these unknown numbers due to their size and scale, they'd say they have one department for this, one department for that, all that means to the customer is that they're in danger of being passed about like a used whore from Steve to John to Debbie, and there's no accountability to the customer. I had this with virgin media recently where I tried to cancel and was repeatedly lied to but I made the mistake of using the phone, and not recording names and dates. You have to ask yourself what the point is of asking someone's name over the telephone as there is no way of confirming whether that person is who they say they are. If you're are dealing with a company or person you trust, fair enough, but how many of those are there these days? I also saved myself about £400 as southern electric changed over the wrong electric meter and tried to say I asked for it to be switched when I didn't. I forwarded on an email from months before of my instruction to some idiot in customer service, I never heard about it again as they ****ed up.

Sponsored Links
in danger of being passed about like a used whore from Steve to John to Debbie

If only.....

My response to a call I am unsure of is to pick up the phone and say absolutely nothing.

If it is a legit. caller, they will speak shortly after you pick up. If there is no response, or a delay, I put the phone down.

If it is a genuine caller, they will ring again, so I don't worry about missing a call.

Last edited:
I had one today, I had her on the phone for 18 minutes. I kept telling her that she needed more training as she had to keep putting me on hold while she asked her manager various questions. In the end I had a work call come in and I apologised and told her to ring me back in 10 minutes.........guess what, she didn't.

Andy

If you pick up, say "Hello" or whatever, and are met with dead silence for a second or two (no background noises of somebody fumbling with the phone etc.), that's typically a giveaway that it's a junk call.

These days, they're so greedy to keep their "sales representatives" busy trying to talk people into buying whatever it is they're selling that they don't want them "wasting" time by actually making the calls, waiting for an answer, hanging up if busy or an answering machine, dialing the next one etc. It's all automated and the computer just churns its way through the numbers, marking out-of-service ones to ignore for now, marking ones which are busy to come back to a little later, and when it gets ringing it just monitors the line to hear some sort of voice response when the ringing stops. Only then does it look for a "representative" who is free at that moment and connect the call through. That's why you'll typically get dead silence for a second or two after saying "Hello," then if you wait you'll suddenly hear all the background chatter of the call center as that salesman picks up the call.

If I pick up and hear dead silence after saying "Hello" I'm alerted to what's likely to follow and poised ready to hang up; the instant it's confirmed by that background call-center noise appearing, they don't get a chance to say anything to me!

Sponsored Links
Is 080 678 3393 one of them?

Have you had treatment in a hospital or health centre in Glasgow?

0800 678 3393 is an NHS Scotland number that is outgoing only.

No I haven't, but I have been waiting on a call from an NHS hearing consultant in my home town which is a long way from Glasgow! If it is his department, I just wonder why he hasn't left a message or used a number I could ring back on. Thanks for the info anyway.

My problem has been solved! Lost my daughter to cancer in August and today, without checking the number first, I answered the phone. It was the support nurse from the rest home my daughter died in and she was offering support. She told me that she had already phoned no less than 7 time but did not leave a message just in case it would upset me. I thanked her for that, because she was quite correct, I would have been upset. However, now there is a new problem. How on earth did she manage to get through on a number that I had blocked on my phone?

Great wind up for unwanted callers
Heard that one a few years ago - Great way to deal with them!

The most persistent place I had calling (back before I left England) was pestering me two or three times a day at one point, and no amount of asking them to stop because I wasn't interested in whatever it was they were trying to sell would get them to stop (and that despite being on the TPS list). I finally dealt with it by leaving my BT Oscillator 87J sitting by the phone and ready to plug in. For non-telecoms people, that's a tone generator which is used for tracing telephone lines and which generates a loud series of pulsing tones, at adjustable rates. Next time I saw the same number pop up I just turned the oscillator on at its fastest rate on and connected it. Two or three times of that, and the calls finally stopped.

My problem has been solved! Lost my daughter to cancer in August and today, without checking the number first, I answered the phone. It was the support nurse from the rest home my daughter died in and she was offering support. She told me that she had already phoned no less than 7 time but did not leave a message just in case it would upset me. I thanked her for that, because she was quite correct, I would have been upset. However, now there is a new problem. How on earth did she manage to get through on a number that I had blocked on my phone?
Condolences on your loss; I guess parents never imagine that they will outlive their child, but that happened to a neighbor of mine a couple of years before I moved away.

As for the call, was this number blocked using BT's (or other) service, or programmed into your own telephone to reject it?

This problem has been dealt with in the most recent Which magazine.
Comments from readers included the suggestion that the TPS is completely 'toothless', something that I can confirm through personal experience. For one thing, UK companies can get around it be routing their calls through a foreign call centre and, for another, they can effectively disguise the location of their call centres by substituting virtually any number they want.

Certainly, although I am on the TPS list, I shall no longer bother with reporting unsolicited calls. There are many tactics available to us though, my favourite being to feign interest and keep them talking for as long as possible. This, presumably, costs them time and money and also reduces the time they can spend on making calls to other 'victims'. It may not ever stop such calls, but it does give me a sort of pleasure!

Phones are getting better at cutting out these calls. I bought a BT cordless jobby last year that makes a reasonable effort at blocking them out. If only it had more options for types of call to block and also who it allows to leave messages. Unfortunately it still allows unwanted callers to leave messages which I obviously don't want either.

Might see if things have moved along any and get a newer one.

Blocked on phone. Thank you for your sensitive reply.
Did you make certain that the number entered in the block list was exactly the number as it appeared on the display? You didn't add a space, a dial pause, or anything like that? Sometimes the software in these phones won't filter out extraneous information when it comes to matching up incoming caller ID with what's stored in its list. (If you can even check now, since you may well have deleted it now you know what it is.)

This problem has been dealt with in the most recent Which magazine.
Comments from readers included the suggestion that the TPS is completely 'toothless', something that I can confirm through personal experience. For one thing, UK companies can get around it be routing their calls through a foreign call centre and, for another, they can effectively disguise the location of their call centres by substituting virtually any number they want.

Certainly, although I am on the TPS list, I shall no longer bother with reporting unsolicited calls. There are many tactics available to us though, my favourite being to feign interest and keep them talking for as long as possible. This, presumably, costs them time and money and also reduces the time they can spend on making calls to other 'victims'. It may not ever stop such calls, but it does give me a sort of pleasure!

That sounds interesting, which magazine was it.

Sponsored Links
Back