Silent Calls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the last few days I have been plagued by these calls. I answer the phone and there is nobody there. I assumed it was some crank having a laugh but I'm told it is a byproduct of this accursed telephone marketing. The people at the call centres don't take all the calls generated by the automated dialers so some end up as these "silent calls". There is a number you can call for the Silent Call Register, similar to the Telephone Preference Service. I have now done both these but it will take a while to have an effect.
Most of these calls register as number witheld but two of them have come up with numbers so I suppose I can report them as malicious calls.

Sponsored Links
Post the numbers here and we can ALL have a laff @ them :idea: :LOL: :LOL:Ringing them with fake enquiries.

If I put the numbers on here they would probably be snipped by the moderators. If you try to ring them you get number unobtainable and in one case the number starts 0112, which I am told is not a genuine number. :confused:

From BBC.

The Direct Marketing Association, which regulates tele-sales companies, is changing its code of practice.

In future, if there's no salesperson available, the company will have to leave an automated message, stating clearly who rang and why - and that there's no need to ring back.

Sponsored Links
joe-90 said:
From BBC.

The Direct Marketing Association, which regulates tele-sales companies, is changing its code of practice.

In future, if there's no salesperson available, the company will have to leave an automated message, stating clearly who rang and why - and that there's no need to ring back.
great that'll soon fill up the answering machine!

One good thing for this though: if your number is on the Telephone preference list and they do call you (leaving this message who and why) you can report them as breaking the telemarketing code of practise

WoodYouLike said:
One good thing for this though: if your number is on the Telephone preference list and they do call you (leaving this message who and why) you can report them as breaking the telemarketing code of practise

Even if it's a silent call and there is no number displayed you can call the police and report it as a nuisance call, they will give you a crime no. which you then give to your telephone provider who have to follow it up. They can check their records to see who made the call.

There is a "nice " lil proggie out there that you can have running online ,
there are guys sites where they are making it a full time hobby ,winding up these cold callers ....
the best thing is this it is a redialer , similiar to the OLD "Golden Eye "proggie where bots are sent to that number an repeatly rings their automated exchange...lol...lol...lol

so the lil Indian fella/lady sat at her desk in Bombay is constantly rung then disconnected ......just like you are when sat watching Corrie st ,lol
shame when they pick up the phone they go into the Bollywood English /spiel only to be hung up on ..teehee

btw they are billed for your call an through a ssl tunnel its anonymous ,
lifes a b*tch aint it ... ;)

I have had loads of them myslef, and I am not alone...one particular number has been a repeated pain in the rear..

It would appear it belongs to PPP Healthcare...I told the buggers not to contact me again or I would report them to ICTIS and the Advertising standards authority.

Big_Spark

There is a grey hat forum ... link site ... where I know that there are 32 sites doing this .....I hear they have a prog which collats the ping dead calls , which , as these companies renew their tele no every other sec , this no gives its 2half sec .. which bots back ...

thing is when you have the worlds top bananas .../cheeky monkeys

I want to be their best mate ..

the courts see this week regard the Bully case ...

the verdict was right he is ok to be allowed parole in 4 yr

//////////////////////////////////////

this lad was bullied all his life ...

the bully back at house ..

bully dead ...with snooker que

victim/killer tries to kill himself 3 times, takes overdose will kill normal kid , slashed wrists , an then cut throat .......He WANTED DEATH as his SIN

he fought off the ambulance staff ,police cs gassed him ..saved him

so tell me that is the action of a killer EH NO !!

This number is one of many used by Telegen, a telemarketing company based in Brighton, down on the south coast. They claim to be calling on behalf of AXA, PPP, the RAC and even a gambling company. They are known to use all of these numbers -

There are detailed reports about their activities on this link:
www.whocallsme.com
Just go to that link and enter any one of those numbers. You will see that over 200 people have already been pestered by Telegen, who do not consider that they are bound by the rules of the Telephone Preference Service. It is suggested that, if you want to stop the calls, you should keep a note of the dates and times you were called and report it online to OFCOM, using this link:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/landline/silent/?itemid=284912

Many people are now complaining and each additional complaint received by OFCOM will help them to stop this antisocial behaviour.

some companies who are selling their **** call 4 people at once and the first one that answers gets all the sales patter, however the others just get a dead line, apparantly its better for the sales person. if your on thier list its not good for you tho.

if you have a Caller Display phone (they are quite cheap now) or an add-on gadget, if you get "number withheld" let it go to your answerphone. If you get "number not available" it is from overseas. It is possible for them to fake the calling number.

Calls from businesses are often "number withheld" even if not telemarketeers.

if you get a spate of calls from telemarketeers, jot down the calling number and don't answer it.

if they leave an 0800 number, you can ring it back and it MIGHT have the ability for you to ask them not to call you again. If not, s they pay for 0800 calls, you can repeatedly ring it until you calm down.

TPS cuts out most calls. If you still get them, reel them in by asking what company they are, note down their number, ask how they got your number (write all this down so you can make a complaint) then ask why they aren't compliant with TPS.

If they say they got your number from a survey you filled out, ask them when and where. They are almost certainly lying.

I once made a complaint and eventually got a response saying the company had been fined. That cheered me up no end.

If thje caller is from overseas, you have no protection. Just say you aren't interested. Don't answer their questions such as "do you want to make money" or "would you like a free investment report" or "what's your favourite holiday destination." Say "why do you want to know?" or "none of your business" and "where are you calling from" until you get bored.

Post those mystery numbers to http://whocallsme.com to see if others have had the same, and to get the caller company name.

Does your phone company offer automatic blocking to withheld numbers? If so its worth subscribing

Sponsored Links
Back