Unusual doorway question on imminent build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am due to have a rear extension built. It has been through planning and BCO and now due to start to digging within the next month. Existing to the new build is an external brick built garage/outbuilding, to the rear of the property and virtually at the boundary of the new build. Now, originally I wanted to join the two together and provide access through from the extension, directly to the garage/outbuilding. However, BC pointed out some issues, primarily cold bridging - and wanted the garage cutting back to accommodate the new build, without any joining. I believe the gap size is not important and would need to accommodate roof gutters etc, but important that the two buildings are not actually joined. Access to the outbuilding/garage would then be from an existing side door, with the current opening being built up with masonry.

Now, so far so good. My question relates to doorways. Is it possible to have two doorways, in alignment with each other, with separate doors (both internally opening), so that I could still achieve my walkthrough from the new build, but via two independently opening external doors (that are simply in alignment) one in the extension and one in the garage. There would be no cold bridging and if the gap between the two buildings is minimal, only minor discomfort would occur when passing "through" the gap.

I can't see any issue with this but there may be a very good reason (to the initiated) that would dissuade me from otherwise doing it.

Just testing the water before I mention it to my builder/BCO and they laugh me out of the universe.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
There isn't any reason why not, but why don't they just let you connect the house to the existing garage and have the garage remain as a cold room with a set of external grade doors separating it from the house? After all, this is only what a conservatory is. You'd need to demonstrate that your construction would have a warm envelope all the way round the house part, so what is currently the garage wall that faces the house would become the new "external wall" of the house, you'd have blockwork etc to maintain cavity, insulation etc

Cut a load of windows into your garage and call it an orangery

View media item 88611
Note: to turn your garage into an extension of the house you need to have planning permission either by specific grant or by it being permitted development i.e. the whole structure as it will become must comply with the PD rules if going PD

If your project has "been through ............. BCO", why wasn't this picked up earlier by the plan-drawer or the BCO?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Cjard/Tony1851,

The garage was/is always intended to be a cold room. The original drawing had the opening left by the garage doors in-filled with an insulated stud wall with the extension built on to it (the stud forming the part of the internal wall of the extension.

This was picked up by the BCO and my designer suggested cutting back the garage, to keep it completely separate.

I didn't mention previously that the garage base is approx. 300mm higher than where the extension base will sit - so the cold bridging was likely seen as critical there (see illustration).

//media.diynot.com/119000_118299_88644_10914011_thumb.jpg

So, in general, two "external" doors facing each other, in alignment, but not connected (to provide the warm envelope) should be a fairly acceptable change to the design? A bit of an oddity that you would open one door and then immediately open another, but if it serves the purpose I'm happy, as long as the BI would be.

Just don't want to get cold and wet when going out to get my potatoes for tea!! ;)

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back