unvented cylinders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to use my combi boiler (which is miles away from taps) just for central heating and fit a direct unvented cylinder next to my kitchen for hot water. Is this a good idea or not. I don't quiet see how indirect cylinders work. I am a good mechanic but have never fitted one to a combi. any sugestions. Thanks Lads

Sponsored Links
I am in a similar position.
Yes you can heat your hot water tank with your combi using the heating circuit.
You will need to install S plan or Y plan valves in the central heating circut that the combi boiler provides.
The combi boiler then needs to be on central heating continuously and
control the combi with an external programmer using the combis thermostat switching connectors to turn the boiler on for demand from
the heating thermostat or the unvented cylinder.
If your combi is a low voltage switch on the thermostat you will need to use a relay.

Another option is to use a small unvented electric cylinder under the sink it will only heat 10 litres of water but that is reheated within 10 minutes.
I wonder if it could be supplied with the mains hot feed and therefore reduce the electric heating bills. See the link below
http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/ariston-europrisma-under-sink-electric-unvented-water-heaters/

PS you need to be qualified to install an unvented cylinder over 50 litres.

Sponsored Links
I am in a similar position.
Yes you can heat your hot water tank with your combi using the heating circuit.
You will need to install S plan or Y plan valves in the central heating circut that the combi boiler provides.
The combi boiler then needs to be on central heating continuously and
control the combi with an external programmer using the combis thermostat switching connectors to turn the boiler on for demand from
the heating thermostat or the unvented cylinder.
If your combi is a low voltage switch on the thermostat you will need to use a relay.

If he wants to have an unvented cylinder for some reason, then the best is buy a "direct" model. Use the combi DHW circuit. Put a bronze pump on the return from the cylinder (fit a Surrey flange to the cold inlet) to the cold inlet of the combi (check if combi can have hot water on the inlet). Have the DHW outlet of the combi into the top of the cylinder via a Surrey flange. Have the cylinder stat switch in the pump. When the pump runs the combi's DHW starts up pumping 60C water into the cylinder. Use the combi's controls and plate heat exchanger. Do not buy indirect cylinders or Y plane valves. The equipment is already there ion the combi, apart from a pump and cylinder stat. This is a common way of heating cylinders on the Continent.

Another option is to use a small unvented electric cylinder under the sink it will only heat 10 litres of water but that is reheated within 10 minutes.
I wonder if it could be supplied with the mains hot feed and therefore reduce the electric heating bills. See the link below
http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/ariston-europrisma-under-sink-electric-unvented-water-heaters/

PS you need to be qualified to install an unvented cylinder over 50 litres.

15 litres not 50. Good idea, you could also have an instant electric undersink heater fed from the combi. Much cheaper to run and better to do. Ellipticity is only used until hot water comes in from the combi.

He could also put in a secondary circulation loop on the combi.

thanks all for help and info..now can some one tell where i can get on a course to learn how to fit unvented cylinders and get my g3 ticket. I'm off to Australia and shure it will help...
thanks.

thanks all for help and info..now can some one tell where i can get on a course to learn how to fit unvented cylinders and get my g3 ticket. I'm off to Australia and shure it will help...
thanks.

first things first, are you a time served plumber? if not you have no chance of getting into plumbing down there, if you are a plumber then contact any local college or training centre to book yourself on the unvented course, do they use unvented in australia? find out before you go and pay money for something you wont get to use

thanks.

Try your local seat of learning for plumbers (tech. college).

Some crash course plumbing training companies also provide these courses.

The cert won't cover you for Oz, and I believe that you need other quals, to be a plumber over there.

Surprised Walters not advised you to fit a thermal store as even direct unvented cylinders can apparently explode or fit 10 remeha avantas and combine their outputs.......now the internets reporting how poor the avantas are he's had to read something else.

Nb,though you were banned.

He was only banned as Water Systems!

He has now reincarnated himself as Walter Systems!

Still saying the same things under the new name though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back