Unvented G3 - what does it teach you?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope this is the right place to post this topic?

I am thinking of going on an Unvented Systems G3 course at a local college. It is a 1, long day course. I was wondering if it is worth while going on, and what exactly it will teach me? If anyone's been on this course then any reviews, etc would be good?

I have my level 2 and 3 plumbing certificates, from a few years ago, and did a module on Unvented systems and a practical assessment, installing a megaflow and piping to and from it during level 3. I have some good knowledge about the components of an Unvented hot water system too, so the course wouldn't be way above my head.

I am not working as a plumber full-time, but do some jobs locally for friends and neighbours if and when required. But I'd like to gain the G3 if it is worth it and will teach me much?

Sponsored Links
I probably will, but would like to know what to expect really-and what practical there is during the course like is there any maintenance of parts, etc, which would be useful.

There's not much really. You look at a cylinder, you operate the valves, they try and scare you with stories of exploding cylinders, and you part with lots of money.

Sponsored Links
There's not much really. You look at a cylinder, you operate the valves, they try and scare you with stories of exploding cylinders, and you part with lots of money.

What he said. ;)

oh right - so not much then :cry: i thought it'd be full of stuff like replacing an expansion valve carridge, fault finding, re-preurising the cyklinder/vessel, etc...

i take it there's a theory exam at the end also?

The exam is the assessment. Faultfinding? How hard can it be?

You have dripping in the tundish, diagnose leaking valve, possibly caused by no expansion space. Cylinder overheats, diagnose zone valve siezed. If this sort of thing needs a course, you will be having difficulty with plumbing generally.

haha i get you!! what i mean is, faults like:

a temp/pressure relief valve dripping/discharging: but the cylinder stats OK? how would you know the tem relief valve was at fault, what would you do to test?

and things like reasons for an expan valve to operate other than lack of charge in the vessel, etc!!

there's gota be more to it that what you said!!

anyway if a MV (2 port) was seized then the boiler stat would shut off at 85-90 anyway so the temp reliefe valve shouldnt operate. there's gotta be a lot more faults and diagnosing that you stated, surely??

How would a faulty 2 port valve cause the combined temperatue pressure relief valve to operate and discharge water via the Tundish??

I know it has a permanent live feed BUT surely the boiler stat would kick in before the 95 degree C operating temp of the trv??

also is the cylinder stat and thermal cut out wired to a wiring centre like a normal hot water cylinder is, and easy to test if they are at fault? just trying to refresh my mind and understand even more before the course!!

looking forward to doing this G3 now ... :LOL:

I probably will, but would like to know what to expect really-and what practical there is during the course like is there any maintenance of parts, etc, which would be useful.

Expansion, Expansion and Expansion.....Just Remember Expansion

Doing the G3 course will give you the most valuable info of all time.

It will show you that Big Burner talks a load of tripe on here and is unqualified and incompetent :eek: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

If you have level 2 and 3 certificates why did you not complete the unvented course then, if you did the module then all you needed to do was a written paper and fault finding exercise (which is safety devices only), its part of the qualification :confused: No idea where your local college is but if you want to learn anything stay away from Keighley college ;)

anyway if a MV (2 port) was seized then the boiler stat would shut off at 85-90 anyway so the temp reliefe valve shouldnt operate. there's gotta be a lot more faults and diagnosing that you stated, surely??

You can't assume the boiler control stat is working correctly. Even if it was there's still the expansion. Is there space for it?

The main purpose of the course is to enable you to install and notify unvented cylinders!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back