Upcoming job for daughter

Sponsored Links
Sounds like some of you are still in the dark ages, our TV (2 years old) doesn't need ethernet - it hasw WiFi and connects directly to the hub. Have asked her to make sure her new one is as well.

Will stidk to the 38mm trunking which should take 2/3 HDMI leads in case she ever wants a video games console. The intention is that only the power is permanent - the HDMI cables can be pulled out and replaced if standards change.

Will wait until she has the new TV before going any further so the cables routing can be planned to avoid fixings and the cable outlets suit the inputs on the TV.

Sounds like some of you are still in the dark ages, our TV (2 years old) doesn't need ethernet - it hasw WiFi and connects directly to the hub. Have asked her to make sure her new one is as well.

Why clog your wifi up unnecessarily when streaming? Wired is much faster and more reliable. Three Smart TV's here, the main one the most used one uses a wired ethernet connection, the two lesser used ones compromise with a wifi connection.

It's entirely possible to make a TV that only has a single Ethernet socket on it - that connection providing both power and data.
Then it really is just plug in and it works. No separate power connection required.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like some of you are still in the dark ages, our TV (2 years old) doesn't need ethernet - it hasw WiFi and connects directly to the hub.
Using wireless if wired is an option is just plain stupid - there is absolutely no benefit whatsoever. Obviously most people use wireless for lots of fixed stuff that really should be wired simply because it seems most house builders are still stuck in the dark ages and don't cable up a house for ethernet - no scratch that, with decent modular cabling - and thus people are forced to use wireless when wired really would be much much better. Of course, it doesn't help that building standards no effectively mandate "non maintainable" houses given the obstacles put in the way of adding or replacing services.

While 2.4G only devices are thankfully few and far between now, there are actually only THREE non-overlapping channels - and given that in a typical street you'll be competing with a number of neighbours, that guarantees that you'll be sharing a channel with multiple neighbours. I once read a comment from someone who lived in a large block of apartments somewhere Asia way - where the list of wifi networks was so long that by the time he'd scrolled it to his own, it was too late as the UI had updated the list and he was back at the beginning again !
Even on 5.8G, there is a limited (though larger) number of channels.
You have to join your device to wifi - with a cable you just plug it in.
Latency is significantly higher over wireless. That's why gamers use wired keyboards etc, and wired networks - they never use wireless as the difference in latency can make the difference between winning and losing (badly).
And a lot of devices can be powered over the network cable - so no local power supply needed. Very handy for many things.

Basically, anyone doing an upgrade like this, and not making provision for wired network is deliberately downgrading their setup.

To add to the wireless debate, some TVs have amazingly awful wireless cards inside, they put the cheapest of the cheap in and a hard wired connection is required.

My lg b7tv is a fine example of such a thing, paid 1500 for it 3 years ago when it was released, excellent TV, let down by shonky WiFi card.

I had 70mb internet connection, on every other device I had wired or wireless I would get this speed, the TV was lucky to get 3mbs , tried all sorts, it then started randomly just plain not working was a right pain in the bum especially when trying to stream. I got fed up pretty quick, LG telling me I was the only person having this issue and they didn't seem it a warranty issue instead blaming the WiFi despite the evidence presented, and it wasn't just me either according to av forums pretty much every one who bought this telly had the same thing. So ended up just sticking a wired connection in. Never been a problem since.

So long and short, if you can, put a wired connection in.

Using wireless if wired is an option is just plain stupid - there is absolutely no benefit whatsoever. Obviously most people use wireless for lots of fixed stuff that really should be wired simply because it seems most house builders are still stuck in the dark ages and don't cable up a house for ethernet - no scratch that, with decent modular cabling - and thus people are forced to use wireless when wired really would be much much better. Of course, it doesn't help that building standards no effectively mandate "non maintainable" houses given the obstacles put in the way of adding or replacing services.

Absolutely right. I only use wifi where I have no other option, or where having a cable makes the item less mobile, or for low data exchanges - often patience is needed when my wifi is busy. No such issues with wired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back