UPDATED: Hanging ceiling light from ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i tried to post this properly last time but for some reasons only the link below came up in thread.

we are looking to hang a new multi arm ceiling pendant as one below:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...storeId=10151&partNumber=138747&stop_mobi=yes

Our current fitting is like the photo below:

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b576/lat321/IMAG0519_zps9d1f3fd3.jpg

I have few queries and would appreciate some help.

First of all i dont intend to do this myself.

the instructions that came with it say that ensure that the screw goes in ceiling joists by at least 2 cm. The fitting weighs about 4.5 kG.

now i am not sure if the electrician will be able to find a joist. I am asking as i dont know any electrician locally and will have to call one and rely on his/her word. so i want to know if electrician will be able to find joist. and how is it normally done so i can see if its done properly!

Sorry if i sould distrusting but i dont want to end up in a problem with poor installation and also dont want to end up in situation where i call electrician they turn up and say that fitting is too heavy and it cant be done.

In the photo there are two screw holes which have been filled so may be the joist is in the centre line between those two holes!

Previous owner did have a multi arm fitting in same location, but i dont know of the weight of their fitting and neither can i see any screw holes where that was hung from.

If it matters, house is from 1953.

Thanks a lot to previous poster who replied despite full post not visible.

ta

Sponsored Links
The holes used to fix the existing fitting should line up with the holes on your new fitting.

Hopefully the existing fitting is screwed into something substantial.

Since you say the house was built in 1953, when things were done properly, there should be a wooden noggin just above the ceiling to fix to.

Assuming there is, make sure you have two screws long enough to go through the new light fitting, through the plaster ceiling rose, through the ceilling board, and into the wooden noggin or joist.

Sponsored Links
The holes used to fix the existing fitting should line up with the holes on your new fitting.

Hopefully the existing fitting is screwed into something substantial.

Since you say the house was built in 1953, when things were done properly, there should be a wooden noggin just above the ceiling to fix to.

Assuming there is, make sure you have two screws long enough to go through the new light fitting, through the plaster ceiling rose, through the ceilling board, and into the wooden noggin or joist.

Thanks. The existing fitting is just a single lamp so I don't know if it's fitted to a joist. How do I find out if it's fitted to joist. Will electrician be able to find the joist? Ta

The current ceiling rose will/should have been set adjacent to a joist.
The only way to find out is to undo the ceiling rose and see if the screws inserted to hold the rose up go into wood (the joist) or plaster via a wall plug or some other fixing.

The current ceiling rose will/should have been set adjacent to a joist.
The only way to find out is to undo the ceiling rose and see if the screws inserted to hold the rose up go into wood (the joist) or plaster via a wall plug or some other fixing.

Thanks.Stupid question but how do I know if the screw under ceilling rose goes into joust or not. If I can see the screw how do I know it goes into joist or floor board. Ta

Loosen the two screws holding up the existing fitting.

See how tight they feel.

Screw them back in. Are they nice and tight? Or do they go round and round?

Take out the screws and measure how long they are.

Thanks.Stupid question but how do I know if the screw under ceilling rose goes into joust or not. If I can see the screw how do I know it goes into joist or floor board. Ta
With the power off undo the screws you should be able to feel if they are screwed into wood or plasterboard and fresh air.
Failing that stick a sharp thin screwdriver along the centre between the two holes and push.
Come on this is very basic stuff here.

Just to update anyone who might be interested. Had a electrician around. He said he will have to lift carpets in upstairs room to confirm if there is a joist and wants to charge £120 for that (we are in london!). so looks like Chandelier is going back to the shop! what a shame!

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b576/lat321/IMAG0519_zps9d1f3fd3.jpg
Unless people are prepared to allow the following sites to run scripts on their computer:

glam.com
tags.crwdcntrl.net
criteo.com
rlcdn.com
adsonar.com
scorecardresearch.com
crwdcntrl.net

they will not be able to see photos hosted on photobucket.

Just to update anyone who might be interested. Had a electrician around. He said he will have to lift carpets in upstairs room to confirm if there is a joist and wants to charge £120 for that
Surely you can lift carpets and check, for a cost of £0?

Just to update anyone who might be interested. Had a electrician around. He said he will have to lift carpets in upstairs room to confirm if there is a joist and wants to charge £120 for that
Surely you can lift carpets and check, for a cost of £0?
Indeed - or do some probing through the ceiling himself to get the answer, again for £0.

Kind Regards, John

Just to update anyone who might be interested. Had a electrician around. He said he will have to lift carpets in upstairs room to confirm if there is a joist and wants to charge £120 for that (we are in london!). so looks like Chandelier is going back to the shop! what a shame!

You do not need to lift the carpet to confirm if there is a joist. If there were none, your ceiling would fall down. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back