Updating a old mobile: keeping my number

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an ancient Nokia 3310 mobile phone. It is Pay as you Go on Tesco Mobile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_3310

(Don't laugh -- I only use it for emergencies)

I'm thinking of updating to something like an Nokia Black 1616.

Question: Can I use the SIM card out of the old phone, to stay on Tesco Mobile PAYG and keep my old number?

Sponsored Links
Just as long as the new phone is unlocked to any network, or is locked to Tesco Mobile.
Don't forget to transfer your phone numbers to the SIM before putting it in the new phone (then transfer these to the new phone memory after) ;) ;)

You might need a newer low voltage sim card for modern phones, if you have a really old SIM. Tesco should be able to send a replacement if need be

You might need a newer low voltage sim card for modern phones, if you have a really old SIM. Tesco should be able to send a replacement if need be

According to the Tesco mobile web site, if I buy a new Tesco mobile phone they will activate my exisiting number within 24 hrs. How they do this, I'm not sure.

Q: Will my old Nokia charger work with a newer Nokia phone?

Sponsored Links
Apart from the micro USB, there are two different sizes of charger pin on Nokia phones. The older phones use a larger pin than the newer models.

I still have a couple of 3330's (brother of 3310) in a drawer somewhere...

You should have no trouble swapping the SIM. AFAIR, the SIM should just slot in.

You are best advised to get an unlocked handset. All of mine are, so I can use any SIM in them.

Tesco do occasionally have offers where they sell unlocked handsets cheap. If not, try CPW. Ask before you buy to make sure, but most of their PAYG handsets are unlocked.

True.

For the record, Asda piggy-back off Voda. Virgin off T-Mobile, and Giff-Gaff off O2 as well.

Any more? Can't recall at the moment.

Out of interest though, does the Orange/ T-Mobile tie-up mean than you can now swap sims between these locked handsets or not?

Anyone know? I don't as all mine are unlocked.

Sponsored Links
Back