Upgrade to room controlled thermostats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just moved into my new build home and have been looking at moving towards a smarter heating system, essentially my attempt to evolve into a smart home over time.

It's a 5 bed (need the space), with a living, dining and sitting room ..... The way I've figured it out to be working (home demo was rubbish), was that there are two zones, upstairs with a wall mounted thermostat, then downstairs with another thermostat. When I turned it on to test the system, I discovered (unsurprising) that some radiators were boiling hot, whilst others were luke warm (the closer they were to the thermostat).

The intended outcome ideally here is to have the ability to set each room to a different temp. For example, my wife works from home and one of the bedrooms is her office, so ideally that could be warmer, whilst the other unoccupied rooms during the day or evenings could be slightly cooler. I appreciate there is a balance to be found, as it's more expensive to re-heat the whole house if you let it all get too cold, but I think the ability to measure and adjust each room for comfort is a great capability.

I'm not sure if I will attempt the final install myself or get a qualified person in (more likely the latter), but I always like to know how it works and what the options are, as I discover that not all trades people are knowledgable in things (the home demo for example, I asked questions, I knew the answers too and landed up educating the person doing the home demo on how basics work, not heating/water mind you, more related to kitchen appliences as have installed my own kitchen previously).

First I'll describe what I have found installed:
Boiler: Ideal Logic Heat H24
Ideal Heat H24 Boiler.jpeg

3 Way Controller (2 heating + Hot Water: TQX0027 | THERMAQ 3 CHANNEL PROGRAMMER
ThermaQ TQX0027 3 Way.jpeg

Thermostats: Honeywell Home (can't seem to find a model number on it)
Zone 1 (Upstairs), Zone 2 (Downstairs)
Honeywell Home Thermostat.jpeg

Radiator Valves:
Most have those variable ones that you can twist to change the heat setting manually
Radiator Valve (Manual).jpeg

Some seem to have nothing:
Radiator Valve (no control #1).jpeg
Radiator Valve (no control #2).jpeg

My research so far:

I know these all have different cost profiles, ultimately I know I will have to fork out £££ for the benefit of smart capabilities and in the ideal it's something I can extend overtime.

Nest: I've ruled this out for now, as slick as it looks, it appears to be more about learning behaviours than being able to control idividual rooms/thermostats; but happy to be proven wrong.

Tado: Seems simple enough as an option - thoughts?

Honeywell EvoHome: Appears to be to most advanced in terms of what it can do and it's configuration options, along with a pretty cool console.

(Side note): Read this about the Evohome vs Tado:
https://www.pocket-lint.com/smart-h...ll-evohome-vs-tado-2-0-what-s-the-difference/

Hive: Haven't looked into this much at all

My questions:

Can anyone offer any recommendations based on their own experience, are there DIY options or going professional is the right way?
Do the controlls I already have get replaced / removed or are they extendable.

For example, I read that I could leave the ThermaQ in-place, set it all to auto; then implement a Smart Thermostat (Tado or Honeywell) to do the heavy-lifting of controlling everything.

Many thanks
Rob

Sponsored Links
1) what number are the Thermostatic Radiator valves set to?

2) Some of the rads have no TRV. How many? Of which, how many are in a room with a thermostat?

What was the room temperature when you tried it out?

1) what number are the Thermostatic Radiator valves set to?

They were all set to III (3) ... I've literally just moved in (last week) so testing everything (well trying too)

2) Some of the rads have no TRV. How many? Of which, how many are in a room with a thermostat?

There are two radiators with no TRV:
Hallway: that has a thermostat nearby (about 4 meters away)
Master Bedroom: that has a thermostat nearby (about 3 meters away)

What was the room temperature when you tried it out?

I set them to 22 degrees for testing purposes -

There are two radiators with no TRV:
Hallway: that has a thermostat nearby (about 4 meters away)
Master Bedroom: that has a thermostat nearby (about 3 meters away)

That is correct. If they had TRVs the two thermostatic devices would be in contention. Those two radiators should be adjusted to warm their rooms slower than the ones with TRVs. This is done by closing down the lockshield valve to reduce speed of water flow. Typically around half a turn open from the fully closed position. You may think this is surprisingly little, but it is correct.

The result should be that the rooms with TRVs reach their target temperature first.

Sponsored Links
That is correct. If they had TRVs the two thermostatic devices would be in contention. Those two radiators should be adjusted to warm their rooms slower than the ones with TRVs. This is done by closing down the lockshield valve to reduce speed of water flow. Typically around half a turn open from the fully closed position. You may think this is surprisingly little, but it is correct.

The result should be that the rooms with TRVs reach their target temperature first.
Thanks for this, I will have a look at those settings later this afternoon and adjust accordingly.

Any advice on possibly “upgrading” to a smart system that can control each radiator independently … the more I read about it, seems that it’s either Honeywell Evohome or the Hive systems that work best for us here in the UK on new builds.

How/what do you set a hive TRV to? Surely if you set them to say 22°, that will be measure the temperature at floor level making it a very hot room?

How/what do you set a hive TRV to? Surely if you set them to say 22°, that will be measure the temperature at floor level making it a very hot room?
I was just testing to see if they actually work to be honest, so I set the thermostat on the wall to 22 and then the TRV (the manual kind) is set to III (3) on the dial.

I think the main problem with the setup as it is (new build remember, so didn't have much choice of what they installed) is that the zone (upstairs or downstairs) is very dependent on the warmth of the location of the thermostat. I'm sure I can find a balance as I play around with it, until I upgrade to something smarter like the EvoHome or Hive or Tado or something like that.

I’d like an individual room stat in each room but I can imagine plumbing that in would be a nightmare.

Drayton Wiser do room stats and TRV's, I believe at a lower cost than EvoHome. It is possible to install a room stat in the same area as a TRV which will allow more accurate temperature control than a TRV alone. If there is only a TRV in the area it tries to estimate the room temperature using an algorithm. TRV's can call for heat so will fire up the boiler if only one room is below the desired temperature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back