upgrading a radiator question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our CH system comprises of a gas combi boiler heating water and rads the system being the sort that has a header tank in the loft. It is also the sort that when heating the water only (i.e. in summer, not radiator heating required) the small radiator in the bathroom near the airing cupboard / hot water tank, is always on as long as water is being heated.

The problem:

Our bathroom get very cold and the present Mrs Younger is most upset by this and has commissioned me to swap the existing 800(h)x400(w) single radiator for a double.

I happen to mention this to the plumber (though not heating engineer) who came to fit a new cold water tank in our loft, and he said that he was under the impression that on this type of set-up because the water going into that radiator was the water that had just heated the water in the hot water cylinder, a double radiator was either not possible / not practical and/or would have little effect.

Any comments on that remark?

Sponsored Links
The bathroom radiator only heats when the water is heating, therefore when the water has been heated, the radiator will go cold whatever its size. I agree with your plumber.

Put that radiator on the primary circuit before any valves, so it heats when either hot water or heating is on. That should keep the present Mrs Younger warm, and her towels warm in summer!

P.S. It's probably not a combi boiler.

I happen to mention this to the plumber (though not heating engineer) who came to fit a new cold water tank in our loft, and he said that he was under the impression that on this type of set-up because the water going into that radiator was the water that had just heated the water in the hot water cylinder, a double radiator was either not possible / not practical and/or would have little effect.

Any comments on that remark?

My first comment ends with ollocks.
My second, with reservations, is this. Does the present rad heat when the heating only is on, and does your present rad get hot across all of its surface? If so a change to a larger output double rad may solve your problem, but you will still have the wife, and she'll either continue to insulate the new rad with towels/undies/craft items, or will move onto the next item on the list - the one you never see.
Could you more easily change the wife for one who is less upset? A "Younger" model? :confused:

Could it be that, until this is fixed, you're not getting any, Younger? :oops:

I'll get my coat....

MM

Echoes: Firstly, it is not quite as bad as it sounds, the system - being old - means that the water is always being heated as long as the heating OR water is on - i.e. you cannot select heating only - I have no idea why, but am told this was a common way to do things once upon a time as it prevented (or was supposed to prevent the hot water cylinder over heating - can't see it myself but I'm no expert!

MeldrewsMate: I'll supply you with the missing "B" because I too thought it was a loads of them! (old ones at that).

I did consider the practicalities of trading in the Old MrsY for a newer, younger model but the newer/younger models - whilst a more-slim-fit, easy-on-the-eye appearence, are far more expensive to run even thought they come with a small amount of Heat - in magazine format! I fear that anyone with such taste in reading material would be against this buildings regulations!

Sponsored Links
Echoes: Firstly, it is not quite as bad as it sounds, the system - being old - means that the water is always being heated as long as the heating OR water is on - i.e. you cannot select heating only - I have no idea why, but am told this was a common way to do things once upon a time as it prevented (or was supposed to prevent the hot water cylinder over heating - can't see it myself but I'm no expert!

Ah - is it a 'gravity' hot water system? - I had one of those until recently!
It also heated an ancient towel radiator which got as hot as the sun and collected air. There was no tank stat or valve to stop heating the cylinder when the central heating was on.
In that case, I fall in with MM and happily offer a 'B' to go with the 'ollocks'.

I did consider the practicalities of trading in the Old MrsY for a newer, younger model but the newer/younger models - whilst a more-slim-fit, easy-on-the-eye appearence, are far more expensive to run even thought they come with a small amount of Heat - in magazine format! I fear that anyone with such taste in reading material would be against this buildings regulations!
:LOL:

Thanks for the advice I will go for the up-graded radiator and keep the present Mrs Y - she makes a good Sunday roast after all!

And thanks for the banter lads! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back