Upgrading supply/dno earthing

It sounds like the circuit hasn’t been designed properly if you’re having to rely on the bonding to get a satisfactory Zs reading.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the circuit hasn’t been designed properly if you’re having to rely on the bonding to get a satisfactory Zs reading.
Indeed so, but those who, when inspecting the circuit, 'rely on' direct Zs measurements (rather than R1+R2+Ze) will presumably remain unaware of that deficiency in design of the circuit?

... which leads me to wonder how many others, like you, do not rely on Zs measurements?

Kind Regards, John

Found a non RCD socket outlet on my travels today.

Low current (top) and high current (bottom) Zs test carried out.

C2AF9F0E-0BF9-4130-8A77-CD36577DCF37.jpeg
F9F7B9A7-DC1D-4500-9210-A577F0546864.jpeg

Found a non RCD socket outlet on my travels today. ... Low current (top) and high current (bottom) Zs test carried out.
Interesting. Thanks, and consistent with what secure suggested. Do you have any thoughts about a possible explanation for the difference?

... and, of course, importantly, what was the R1+R2+Ze at that socket? (you did measure it, didn't you? :) )

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I’m not sure why this happens. Perhaps it’s harder to get an accurate reading at lower current or maybe it’s a scaled up reading from a smaller actual reading relative to the lower current.

Sorry no calculated Zs I wasn’t actually working on this circuit. I just tested it for this thread!

I’m not sure why this happens. Perhaps it’s harder to get an accurate reading at lower current or maybe it’s a scaled up reading from a smaller actual reading relative to the lower current.
I don't know. In the end, it presumably comes down to measuring a current (or the voltage across a known resistance) and that can be done accurately from microamps up to mega-amps
Sorry no calculated Zs I wasn’t actually working on this circuit. I just tested it for this thread!
Fair enough. If the opportunity to find out ever presents itself in the future, it would be interesting to know which of the Zs measurements was closer to the 'calculated' figure.

Kind Regards, John

ENW turned up yesterday. The guy took a load of pictures and said it all needs replacing. He said someone will ring. If I haven't heard anything in two weeks to ring up and chase it up. Theyll have dig drive up. Cut into the cable and run new in. Itll still be a tns supply. Just need to chase up the supplier to see if the economy 7 can be ditched to free up some room

ENW turned up yesterday. The guy took a load of pictures and said it all needs replacing. He said someone will ring. If I haven't heard anything in two weeks to ring up and chase it up. Theyll have dig drive up. Cut into the cable and run new in. Itll still be a tns supply. Just need to chase up the supplier to see if the economy 7 can be ditched to free up some room
Thanks for the update. Do I take it that he did not undertake any measurements of any sort?

Kind Regards, John

No he just took pictures and said yer it needs sorting. He was a nice guy. Didnt do a ze test or anything tho

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back