Upgrading supply/dno earthing

Would whatever they do affect any other houses on the street?
Mostly they work live (a bit like you and the service fuse, really). But they are fully trained to do this. Sometimes they need to disconnect other houses to do their thing, but that’s not your problem.

Sponsored Links
To be fair I havent thought about it for ages. Its only because I'm juggling circuits about and looking at a ring main fault under the door that I'm like its actually quite poor. But many house have a supply as old and as bad. I am intrigued as to what the ze is myself. I'm ringing them in the morning so hopefully itll be sorted and as a bare minimum the earthing will be better

I did earth loop and rcd tests after install. I know I should have done all dead tests as well but I dont work for myself. It was a case of borrowing a test kit from work. All within calibration. Its rcbos and not a split board. I did end to ends on the ring mains. Downstairs ring has no end to end on the earth. Which is what I'm investigating. I also need to fit the stuffing gland for the tails. I have one ordered and should get it tomorrow but il have to tell the dno I need to remove the tails at some point to put the stuffing gland in. Il see what they say tomorrow. As far as the seal. Their wasnt one on when I moved in and if they ask the consumer unit was already in!

Sponsored Links
Would whatever they do affect any other houses on the street?
Not normally, but I did a board change years ago (mid 90s) on a house in Charlton that was the first estate to be built with electricity from the off.

I pulled the fuse and was merrily working away fitting the new board. An hour later, a Norweb bloke knocked on the door. Asked if the leccy was off.
I said yes, but only because I had pulled the fuse to swap the board.

Bloody hell, he cried, the whole street down stream of this house is off!

I tried explaining that if that were the case, then the electricity board had wired up the house supplies wrong, but he didn't seem to understand.

Indeed, it transpired that is what they had done. I was at number 5.
Pulling out the main fuse killed the supply to numbers 7, 9, 11 and 13. Can't remember exactly how many there were, but all those houses were effectively running through one fuse at number 1.

Yes all the zs readings were within as were the rcd tests. But with the corrosion on the earth it definitely needs looking at

It might be like yours.
True.

However, at least for the time being, it would mean that, with everything (including any bonding) connected, the path from MET to earth was adequate for fault protection - in the same way that I could remove all of my RCDs and still have adequate fault protection (provided by OPD-based ADS), even though it is technically a TT installation.

In case I gave the wrong impression, I was not meaning to suggest that the service head does not require DNO attention - I was merely indicating that there is no immediate functional problem or danger (so long as the OP leaves things around the service head alone!).

Remind me .... if you were doing, say, a CU change, would you actually attempt to measure Ze (or Zdb with all bonding disconnected), or would you be happy if all Zs (and Zdb) (with boding connected) were adequately low?

Kind Regards, John

Remind me, if you were doing, say, a CU change, would you actually attempt to measure Ze (or Zdb with all bonding disconnected), or would you be happy if all Zs (and Zdb) (with boding connected) were adequately low?
Good point, and easy to snipe from the sidelines. But , a minor works certificate lets you only record the Zs of the single circuit being worked on. The change of a consumer unit requires a full Electrical Installation Certificate, and this needs Ze to be measured and recorded. The OP should have this information on the BS7671 EIC. This goes to show how important proper testing is, there may not be any Ze conductivity at all, because of the state is the service head. His EFLI measurements, and his house earthing, may be solely relying on bonding to gas and water services.

And then in post 8, you said 'I see you changed the consumer unit'.

Perhaps I have mis-read or mis-interpreted. Perhaps you meant 'I see - you changed the consumer unit' or something like that.
The words probably should be “you have stated that you have changed the consumer unit”.
I gleaned the information from the OP’s post #7 when he said
. I have changed the consumer unit

Is that clear now? What is your point?

The words probably should be “you have stated that you have changed the consumer unit”.
I gleaned the information from the OP’s post #7 when he said

Is that clear now? What is your point?
I just didn't understand when I first read your post. It implied (to me) that you had seen evidence of the consumer unit change in addition to him telling you in post 8.

Clear now, not trying to make any point.

Got it.

Carry on.

As you were.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back