upgrading tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, im a sparky and just wanted to run something by you, im changing a CCU in a house and the tails are 16mm with 10mm earth, the main fuse is only 60A so is it really necessary for me to upgrade or is that only a recommendation or set in stone?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Why not plan for the future & fit 25/16? Then, if the fuse gets uprated, everything is to current standard.

yes very true however its for a family member and they want it as cheap as possible there will need alot of building work to re run the tails i just want to know if its ok to not change them

There is no reason why the tails cant remain as 16.0mm² on a 60A cutout as the CCC of the tails exceeds the rating of the cutout fuse.

Many people would still install 25.0mm² tails, as these will have sufficient capacity should the DNO decide to upgrade the cutout at some point in the future.

Wether you upgrade the tails or not, the main earthing conductor will still require upgrading to a minimum of 16.0mm² (unless it is a TT supply)

Sponsored Links
Why a lot of building work?

How is the supply set up at the moment?

the tails run thorugh a few different pieces of wall fabric, its a terrible design

RF how come the earth has to 16 now for definate, i thought 10 mm is surfice for 16mm tails

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back