Upstairs Light Not working : help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Upstairs in my detached house I have 5 areas, bathroom, 4 bedrooms and hallway. All the lights bar the hallway are now not working.
For the past 3 months bulbs have been blowing fairly regularly as well, sometimes flickering before going out. The bathroom light is a halogen on a pull cord, the others are on dimmer switches.
I have checked the fuse box and it hasn't tripped (didn't trip at any time), incidently when I switched this down then up the lights were coming back on, but now they are not when I do this.
I havn't done any work on any lights except change bulbs.

Any thoughts PLEASE!!!

Sponsored Links
If you were finding the switch a bit temperemental I'd have a look in there first, probably a gubbed switch or loose connection at the switch or light.
Turn the power off and check connections are sound and that you're getting continuity through the switch.

When the breaker in the fuse box is Off, does the hall light still work? :?: :?: :?: If it does, it's on a different circuit so you'll be looking for something that's common to all the other lights. You might have a bad breaker in there - or a bad connection to it. :idea: :idea: :idea:

If the hall light does go off with the breaker, you'll have to look somewhere else and my first choice would be the hall light ceiling rose itself. There might be a loose wire in there. Don't forget to switch the breaker off first.

Update...
Last night the lights just started working again for about 5 mins, then went off when my son went to turn on his lights. Then about an hour later they came on again, and went off when I pulled the bathroom cord!!!

Strange???? Thoguths??

Sponsored Links
Got to be a loose connection in a Ceiling Rose or Switch on your Circuit , Get a Sparky on to do some Fault-Finding asap

Lucky

When the breaker in the fuse box is Off, does the hall light still work? :?: :?: :?:
Will you please explain what extra, important, information is conveyed by

"? :?: :?: :?: "

which would have been missed by just "?"?

You might have a bad breaker in there - or a bad connection to it. :idea: :idea: :idea:
Will you please explain what you intended to communicate with " :idea: :idea: :idea: ".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back