Upstairs lights not working!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So went into the bathroom put on a light and there was an Immediate white flash scared the crap out of me, Noticed how every bulb in the bathroom stopped working then noticed the whole upstairs lights seem to be broken as well...
So my dad took over trying to fix it and he said it was just the fuse its blown or something then he checked the fuse box and its an older model that requires a wire bought we bought it we fitted it and it is still not working!
We have to call an electrician now but wondering if anyone can help out?

Also have a roof fan that is not working either that is connected to the light.

Sponsored Links
Make sure the wire is actually connected in the fuse carrier, its very easy to miss the terminal and /or over tighten and snap the wire

there was an Immediate white flash
Where did this flash come from?

Has any work, even totally non-electrical, been done anywhere in the house recently? Any holes drilled in walls for shelves or pictures? Creaking floorboards fixed? (Or not fixed - it's always been creaky and one day you'll get round to it?)

we bought it we fitted it and it is still not working!
Have you checked that it hasn't blown again?

Odd my bedroom lights upstairs also stopped working today, when it happened I was going into the loft, and the landing light hits my back, so turned off lighting circuit, unscrewed the ceiling rose cover on landing light, pulled at all wires and found a loose neutral, slacked off screw put back in hole, tightened screw again replaced ceiling rose cover turn lighting circuit back on and all working.

I relate this as although bedroom lights failed, I looked straight away at landing light because I knew I had knocked it. So in your case fuse removed look at where the flash came from. Like most engineering problems logic is you friend. Be it oh I put some items in the loft before it went, or kids had a pillow fight, normally logic can help.

If fuse wire I would actually test the fuse, so easy to break wire when tightening up screws.

Sponsored Links
I think it was the lights not sure all i saw was the flash and then nothing
Nope no work done in the house no creaky floorboards nothing like that

It is connected to the fuse carrrier
~ Says my dad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back